Nida’s ‘Jadugaar’ dress a hit with Lady GagaOctober 31st, 2011 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 31 (IANS) Designer Nida Mahmood, known for her flair for creative and dramatic collections, has added yet another feather to her cap. She designed an outfit for pop icon Lady Gaga, who loved the short dress made with 1,000 LED lights.
“The dress which I made for her was part of my WIFW SS-12 collection titled The Great Indian Bohemian Tamasha. The dress is little above the knees and is embellished with over 1,000 LED lights. The digital print has been carefully designed incorporating the essence of Indian street theatre. The colours are very Indian - a mix of orange, red, green and blue. I call it ‘Jadugaar dress for magical Gaga’,” Mahmood told IANS.
Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainment placed the order for the dress for Gaga.
“Shah Rukh’s khan Red Chillies entertainment approached me for making the garment. It is a surreal feeling to have designed for an international superstar! The icing on the cake was that she absolutely loved the concept,” said the designer, who feels that “nobody can match the charm and aura with which Gaga carries herself and this is what makes her a perfect muse for my theme.”
“The concept evolved from theatre and she (Gaga) completely epitomizes the theme. I matched the garment with headgear inspired by the mukuts from the Ramlila.
“Gaga loved the Indianness of the concept and the way it blended with a global feel. It was indeed a treat designing for someone so larger than life as Gaga,” she added.
It was not just Nida who grabbed the international style icon’s attention. Even Veteran designer Tarun Tahiliani made it to her favourite’s list.
While performing at the Formula 1 after party Sunday night, the designer chose to wear Tarun’s outfit.
“She is a very classic and proactive performer and that’s what can be seen in her style sense. The dress she wore was a stylized, draped concept sari in lame and chiffon. She teamed it up with a white, fitted body suit with side panel cutouts, encrusted with heavy gold and Swarovski chains,” Tarun told IANS.
- Lady Gaga leaves desi 'monsters' wonderstruck - Oct 31, 2011
- Cocktail sari for Gaga - if only! - Oct 28, 2011
- Ravana, puppets, dance in Nida Mahmood show - Oct 10, 2011
- Turn on unisex fashion this winter - Nov 24, 2011
- Indian designers: Merry time in global arena (2011 In Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Wearability factor gets prominence at LFW - Aug 05, 2012
- Sari gets makeover, new look lures Hollywood - Sep 28, 2011
- Lady Gaga inspires Raakesh Agarvwal's collection - Feb 17, 2012
- Only Versace for me, says Gaga - Jun 10, 2011
- GOW actress Huma puts her best foot forward at LFW - Aug 07, 2012
- Designer wants Big B to 'Don' jacket - Nov 24, 2010
- Designer gives sari the Dutch touch (With Image) - Aug 16, 2012
- Oprah asked for traditional sari: Tarun Tahiliani (With Image) - Jan 19, 2012
- Wear Indian outfits, more colours: Designers urge Michelle - Nov 07, 2010
- Diplomats families to walk ramp for Indian girl child - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,