New IIT campus in Orissa to be complete in four years (Lead)February 11th, 2009 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 11 (IANS) The campus of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Orissa would be complete in four years from now with Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh laying the foundation stone Thursday.
The institute at Bhubaneswar is one among eight new IITs to be established in the country by the ministry of human resource during the Eleventh Plan period.
The IIT will come up at Aragul, 20 km from here, on 936 acres of land.
“The state government has already provided 516 acres of land free of cost,” Deputy Secretary of Industry Department P.K. Panda told IANS, adding that steps are being taken to provide rest of the land, water and electricity.
Parts of the campus, including class rooms, hostels and administrative buildings, expected to be ready in two years time, a faculty member of the IIT-Bhubaneswar said.
Around 120 students have already been admitted in three disciplines, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering in July last year.
“As the campus and building have not yet been built, the students are studying along with students of IIT Kharagpur,” he said, adding that the student strength will increase to 240 in the next academy session (2009-2010).
IIT-Kharagpur has initiated measures to conduct classes in its Bhubaneswar centre from the next academic session.
“The centre will continue as the temporary campus of IIT-Bhubaneswar till its own campus comes up,” Panda said.
- IIT-Kharagpur welcomes budgetary grant - Feb 28, 2011
- Arjun Singh to lay foundation stone of IIT Orissa Thursday - Feb 11, 2009
- IIT alumni keen to push Punjab growth - Aug 21, 2010
- War of words over Jairam Ramesh slamming IITs, IIMs (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Railways to sign with IIT-Kharagpur for research - Feb 10, 2010
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Kapil Sibal lays foundation of IIT-Patna campus - Apr 19, 2011
- President rues no Indian varsity in world's top 200 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Local students protest IIT campus on their college premises - Mar 24, 2010
- One held for duping IIT aspirants - Sep 03, 2010
- IIT Rajasthan to leave Kanpur campus - Dec 14, 2009
- Alternate admission procedure for engineering schools soon: Sibal - Jul 17, 2010
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- IIM-Rohtak gets new director - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: academic session, academy session, administrative buildings, arjun singh, deputy secretary, development minister, faculty member, foundation stone, human resource development, indian institute of technology, institute of technology, kharagpur, land water, laying the foundation, mechanical engineering, ministry of human resource, orissa, plan period, state government, student strength