Neeru Kumar pays tribute to Indian fabrics at WIFWApril 6th, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 6 (IANS) Designer Neeru Kumar, who has been in the industry for the past 30 years, paid tribute to Indian fabrics in the inaugural show Wednesday of the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week(WIFW), which marks her first participation in such an event in last three decades.
“I thought this is the right time to showcase at this platform. Now the international market has recognised our potential, and hence I am here,” said Neeru after wowing the audience with garments made from traditional hand-woven silks, cotton and linen in colours like red, beiges, blue and earthy tones.
The eco-friendly materials were tranformed into saris, maxi-dresses, tunics, skirts, jodhpuri trousers and shirts. The model’s looks were kept simple as the emphasis was on clothes and Neeru accessoried most of the garments with belts.
She also showcased smart jackets and trench coats, in which there were traces of wool and cashmere.
From brazen asymmetrical cuts to traditional cross-stitches, each garment was uniquely Indian and elegant, emphasizing the designer’s signature style.
One of the highlights of Neeru’s collection was inbuilt pockets in tunics and skirts.
- It's time India sets the trends: Neeru Kumar - Apr 07, 2011
- Designers' ode to free-spirited women at WIFW show - Oct 10, 2011
- Colours, bling and cuts on WIFW runway - Apr 08, 2011
- Handwoven Swarovski work dominates Akaaro's show - Feb 16, 2012
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- Honoured to be part of 'Midnight's Children': Ritu Kumar (With Images) - Sep 13, 2012
- From huts to high streets: Khadi comes of age (Feature) - Sep 30, 2011
- Prateik is very spontaneous: Kalki Koelchin - Oct 09, 2011
- Koena Mitra becomes demure Radha at WIFW - Mar 26, 2010
- Shabana Azmi cheers for Anita Dongre at WIFW - Oct 12, 2011
- Varun Bahl presents edgy, unconventional line at WIFW - Apr 06, 2011
- Make a fashion splash with your monsoon rainwear - Jun 19, 2011
- I believe in presenting India-inspired collections: Manish Malhotra - Dec 13, 2011
- Taj Khazana: Reviving rare but uniquely Indian art and craft (With Images) - Feb 26, 2012
- Anuradha Ramam to take Indian weaves to San Francisco (With Images) - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: asian news, cashmere, cross stitches, earthy tones, garment, garments, inaugural show, india fashion week, indian fabrics, indo, last three decades, maxi dresses, New Delhi, right time, shi, signature style, skirts, trench coats, vm, wills lifestyle india fashion week