NBT should reach the grassroots: DirectorAugust 2nd, 2011 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) The National Book Trust (NBT) will have to reach down to the grassroots level with everybody’s efforts and cooperation, its director M.A. Sikander has said.
Addressing a gathering to celebrate NBT’s 54th foundation day with a cultural extravaganza at the Nehru Bhavan here Monday, Sikander, who joined the Trust July 29 from the Delhi University, said he had been reading NBT books since his childhood.
A statement Tuesday quoted former director Satish Kumar as saying: “The NBT has a significant place in the publishing industry which could not be achieved without the efforts of the employees.”
The NBT was inaugurated in August 1957 by then vice president S. Radhakrishnan.
Addressing the first inaugural gathering, then prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru emphasised the importance of books, the habit of reading, his vision of a book reading society and the role to be played by NBT in realising the dream.
NBT publishes nearly 2,000 books for children and adults every year in a variety of regional languages like Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Oriya and Konkani besides Hindi.
- Indian books on spirituality a big draw (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Indian books on spirituality a big draw, says NBT chief - May 12, 2012
- Book fair to celebrate 100 years of Indian cinema - Jan 07, 2012
- Centenary celebrations galore at World Book Fair (Curtain Rasier) - Feb 23, 2012
- World Book Fair begins in New Delhi - Feb 25, 2012
- Book bazaar at Delhi University - Mar 24, 2011
- Book fair concludes, sees over 700,000 visitors - Mar 04, 2012
- PM promises youth, children access to quality books - Mar 21, 2012
- Book bazaars to mark Delhi's 100 years as capital - Jan 07, 2011
- Bilingual dictionaries to promote India's mother tongues - Mar 12, 2012
- Capital tales: Books get voices to reach more children - Jul 19, 2012
- Coming up, a pocketbook on Akhilesh - in 10 languages (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- World Book fair inaugurated in Delhi - Jan 30, 2010
- IGNOU's preparatory course for students desiring higher education - Jun 14, 2012
- I am thrilled beyond comprehension: Usha Uthup (Interview) - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: aug 2, bengali, book reading, delhi university, extravaganza, foundation day, grassroots level, gujarati, habit, jawaharlal nehru, konkani, marathi, national book trust, New Delhi, oriya, prime minister jawaharlal, reading society, regional languages, s radhakrishnan, sikander