My creation is a tribute to Mondrian: Wendell RodricksApril 3rd, 2009 - 12:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 3 (IANS) Designer Wendell Rodricks, who unveiled his collection at the fashion week here, says he is so influenced by legendary Dutch painter Pieter Cornelis Mondrian that he is sleeping with Mondrian’s designs in mind.
“I am sleeping with Mondrian in my head for months before finally coming up with my new collection based on his works of unique geometric abstraction where all curved lines are eliminated. My creations are a tribute to him,” Rodricks told IANS.
He showcased his latest collection The Mondrian Minimalist at the first Kolkata Fashion Week here Thursday.
“Mondrian used all primary colours like red, blue and yellow for his painting. But I decided to do it my way, using my signature black and white for the fabric, while keeping the primary colours for the accessories and shoes,” he said.
Rodricks said this is the first time the entire collection is being showcased in a fashion show.
“I showed 19 pieces out of 40 of The Mondrian Minimalist collection at the recently held Delhi Fashion Week. This is the fist time the entire collection is being showcased here.”
The collection will be available at Westside stores across India by April-end.
On his next collection, Rodricks said: “I am working on knits and jerseys. In fact, I am doing certain experiments with the concept that has never been tried in the fashion industry.”
- Wendell displays his 'Timeless' collection at LFW - Aug 05, 2012
- JJ Valaya is WIFW 2012 finale designer - Feb 02, 2012
- Goa needs special status to retain its identity: Wendell Rodricks - Nov 02, 2011
- Designers pen fashion bibles; legacy for younger lot - Jul 20, 2012
- Business at fashion week broke all records: FDCI chief (Review) - Oct 13, 2011
- Crossover: Fashion feeds abstract art (With Image) - Mar 19, 2012
- Artist Piet Mondrian inspires Indian fashion designer - Mar 31, 2009
- Wendell Rodricks impresses with vibrant men's week debut - Aug 29, 2010
- Goa was birthplace of Indo-Western garments: Wendell Rodricks (Interview, With Image) - Jan 27, 2012
- Rohit Bal to showcase at Men's week finale - Aug 12, 2010
- 'Kitchens becoming style statement in South Asian homes' - May 14, 2012
- LFW Winter-Festive puts spotlight on new talents, Indian weaves (Curtain-raiser ) - Aug 01, 2012
- Wendell Rodricks splashes water on the LFW ramp - Aug 21, 2011
- Indian designs, Bollywood dominate RFW opening day - May 25, 2012
- Shantanu-Nikhil to open WIFW 2012 - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: dutch painter, entire collection, fabric, fashion industry, fashion show, fashion week, fist time, geometric abstraction, India, jerseys, kolkata, minimalist, mondrian, painting, pieter cornelis, primary colours, shoes, signature, tribute, wendell rodricks