Mount Redoubt simmers downMarch 30th, 2009 - 3:05 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Mount Redoubt , in Alaska simmered down after spreading a layer of gritty volcanic ash over several communities, including the state’s largest city.
Last Sunday,the volcano was emitting low-level tremors but didn’t erupt, monitors at the Alaska Volcano Observatory said. A plume rose 25,000 feet above sea level, but scientists said it appeared to be only vapour and they were not adding it to Redoubt’s 18 eruptions during the past week.
The calm follows several strong eruptions Saturday that spewed an ash cloud 100 miles northeast to Anchorage, the state’s largest city, and beyond. Nikiski, about 50 miles from Redoubt, was among the worst hit communities. Observatory volcanologist Game McGimsey said the ash accumulation there was as thick as a dime.
The volcano last erupted in 1989-90. A 1989 eruption sent ash 150 miles (250 km) away into the path of a KLM flight carrying 231 passengers, flaming out its four engines. Pilots ultimately restarted the engines and landed safely.
The latest activity has caused flooding and mud flows into the Drift River valley, where the Chevron-operated Drift River Terminal is located. The terminal has 6.2 million gallons of oil stored in two tanks.
- Redoubt Volcano in Alaska roars into activity, more eruptions to follow - Mar 24, 2009
- Alaska volcano spewing ash over Anchorage - Mar 27, 2009
- Mount Redoubt erupts with a large eruption cloud - Mar 23, 2009
- Mount Redoubt in Alaska has erupted - Mar 23, 2009
- Mount Redoubt Volcano Alert Has Been Raised After Series Of Earthquakes - Dec 29, 2009
- Volcano eruption: Flight cancellations leave thousands stranded - May 25, 2011
- "Teeny little sparks" over volcano identified as new lightning type - Feb 05, 2010
- Surface Expression Of Alaska's Redoubt Volcano Rumbles - Jan 02, 2010
- Alaska volcano is still rumbling - Jan 02, 2010
- Eruption of Alaska's Redoubt Volcano sparked new type of lightning - Mar 07, 2010
- Strong quake rocks Alaska - Jun 23, 2009
- Cleveland Volcano in Alaska erupts - Oct 03, 2009
- Volcano erupts in Indonesia - Jul 15, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Iceland volcano ash could reach Britain: Report (Lead, changing dateline) - May 23, 2011
Tags: accumulation, alaska volcano observatory, anchorage, ash cloud, calm, chevron, drift river terminal, feet above sea level, klm, klm flight, last sunday, monitors, mount redoubt, mud flows, nikiski, plume, tremors, two tanks, volcanic ash, volcanologist