Most elderly Britons feel good spiritedJuly 16th, 2011 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) One may think elderly people in the present times may be feeling depressed by the prospect of working longer and retiring on a smaller pension — but this certainly does not hold true for the elderly in Britain.
Far from being sad, the over-50s Britons feel healthy, happy and in good spirits about their financial future, according to a survey.
A survey for the 50+ Show for the ‘active over 50s’ at London’s Olympia this month that questioned over 1,000 Britons in the age range, found around 65 percent of people in their 50s saying they were very happy or quite content.
The percentage rose to 75 percent for those in their 60s and 76 percent for those in their 70s.
The survey reflects nearly one in four of those questioned said they were “very happy” and 50 percent said they were “quite contented”.
This compared to just two percent who admitted to being “very unhappy”. Over three out of four said they were in “robust good health” or “generally healthy”.
Robert McCaffrey, author of the study, said: “Taken as a whole we see that there is generally agreement between the sexes about what is important in retirement, with leisure time being most important, followed by a focus on health.
“It is significant that many people - of all ages - feel that retirement is a time for new beginnings.”
He said the results indicated that “retirement is something that the majority of people are looking forward to or are already enjoying”.
- Britons hate being called pensioners, elderly - Jul 30, 2012
- People over 75 don't feel lonely: Study - May 29, 2011
- A toolkit to activate your inventiveness - Feb 12, 2012
- Are we most happy on turning 33? - Mar 27, 2012
- Brits to be asked if they are happily married in survey of nation's well-being - Feb 22, 2011
- 'True happiness' comes at the golden age of 50 - Jan 20, 2011
- Sharp rise in injury, death of 70-yr-old Brits indulging in extreme sports - Apr 19, 2010
- Life quality-lows for Britons over 50 - Aug 16, 2011
- Elderly Britons hitting the bottle on the rise - Sep 07, 2012
- Sedentary lifestyles affecting health of India's elderly (April 7 is World Health Day) - Apr 06, 2012
- Middle-aged have more fun than younger lot - Sep 20, 2010
- Over-50s are now Britian's biggest drinkers - Apr 05, 2010
- Sex Important To Elderly Men Too! - Dec 08, 2010
- Our age defines happiness for us - Aug 04, 2011
- Is 60 the new 44? - Jan 28, 2011