Money can buy happiness if you know how to spendJanuary 28th, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 28 (IANS) People spending money to enjoy different experiences in everyday life, such as on days out or concert tickets, are happier than those who spend on buying possessions, says a study.
This was the finding of a study of 9,600 people who were questioned about their shopping habits, as well as to ascertain personality traits, values and life satisfaction, the Daily Mail reported.
Extroverts and people who are open to new experiences tend to spend more of their disposable income on treats, such as on a weekend away or concert tickets instead of visiting the mall for material items.
According to the study led by San Francisco State University Assistant Professor of Psychology Ryan Howell, these habitual “experiential shoppers” reaped long-term benefits from their spending since they reported greater life satisfaction.
For his latest study, Howell and colleagues surveyed nearly 10,000 participants, who completed online questionnaires about their shopping habits, personality traits, values and life satisfaction.
- Thinking past is past could make you happier - May 03, 2011
- Thinking of positives from your past will keep you happier! - May 03, 2011
- Balanced perspective makes for contentment - Apr 27, 2012
- People value experiences more than material things - Apr 15, 2010
- More is less when it falls below expectation - Jun 10, 2012
- In chimps, as in humans, faces are personality billboards - Jan 24, 2011
- More people turn to god in societies under stress - Aug 09, 2011
- Victoria's Secret shopping bag 'can make you feel gorgeous' - Jun 22, 2010
- Money can buy satisfaction - if you spend wisely - Mar 03, 2010
- Buying life experiences, not material possessions, boosts happiness - Feb 08, 2009
- Acquiring experiences, not possessions, key to real happiness - Feb 09, 2009
- Are You A Cat Or Dog Person? - Jan 12, 2011
- Both spendthrifts and tightwads end up feeling unhappy: Study - Nov 25, 2010
- Dream big to live happily - Aug 20, 2011
- Chandigarh debates: To shop or not to shop on Sunday - Jun 19, 2011
Tags: assistant professor, colleagues, concert tickets, daily mail, disposable income, everyday life, extroverts, jan 28, life satisfaction, london jan, money can buy happiness, new experiences, personality traits, possessions, questionnaires, ryan howell, san francisco state university, shoppers, shopping habits, spending money