Moldova is world leader in alcohol consumptionFebruary 19th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The World Health Organisation has said that people of Moldova, an eastern European nation, consume more alcohol per head than citizens of any other nation.The average Moldovan citizen consumes 18.22 litres of alcohol annually, three times more than the global average of 6.1 litres, according to WHO’s Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health.
The WHO also said Moldova, Israel, Croatia and Ukraine have special provisions in their state budgets for the treatment of alcoholism.
The top rating of the heaviest drinking nations include the Czech Republic with an annual per capita alcohol consumption of 16.45 litres, Hungary (16.27 litres), Russia (15.76 litres), Ukraine (15.6 litres), Estonia (15.57 litres), Andorra (15.48 litres), Romania (15.3 litres), Slovenia (15.19 litres), Belarus (15.13 litres) and Britain (13.37 litres).
The report also said: “Globally, 6.2 percent of all male deaths are related to alcohol, compared to 1.1 percent of female deaths.”
Sandwiched between Romania and Ukraine, Moldova emerged as an independent republic following the collapse of the USSR in 1991. Its population is around 3.6 million, according to the UN. Its capital city is Chisinau and the majority of people are Christians.
- Gang jailed for paedophile tours to Moldova - May 30, 2012
- Helicopter crashes in eastern Romania, killing 5 Ukrainians - Apr 27, 2012
- Romanian PM resigns - Feb 06, 2012
- Romanian prime minister resigns - Feb 06, 2012
- Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Russia's Tchebanika wins TT Paralympic gold - Sep 03, 2012
- Bertrand signs long-term contract with Chelsea - Sep 05, 2012
- Putin urges Russians not to destabilize country - Dec 15, 2011
- Moscow set to curb drinking, have less liquor stores - May 06, 2012
- 16 die in Ukraine mine blast - Jul 29, 2011
- UN chief to visit Chernobyl next week - Apr 13, 2011
- Ukraine to sell at least 7 energy companies - Apr 12, 2011
- Olympic gymnastics: Romania's Izbasa vaults to gold - Aug 05, 2012
- 30,000 bottles of fake vodka seized in Russia - Jun 27, 2012
- Ukraine, Brazil talk on energy - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: 6 million, alcohol and health, alcohol consumption, alcoholism, christians, collapse of the ussr, eastern european nation, female deaths, global average, global status, independent republic, male deaths, moldovan, moscow, ria novosti, state budgets, three times, treatment of alcoholism, world health organisation, world leader