Modi, governor lead R-Day celebrations in GujaratJanuary 26th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Bhavnagar (Gujarat), Jan 26 (IANS) The 63rd Republic Day was celebrated with great enthusiasm across Gujarat Thursday morning.
Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal and Chief Minister Narendra Modi led the main celebrations in the coastal town of Bhavnagar.
Besides hoisting the national flag, the ceremonial programme included a colourful display of tableaux from various parts of the state.
Acrobatics by teams of the state police and folk songs and dances by students were also included.
After the programme, the chief minister was mobbed by the participants. Modi, donning a pair of sunglasses and a colourful turban, obliged them by posing for group photographs.
On his arrival in Bhavnagar Wednesday, Modi announced a Rs.1,900 crore package for Bhavnagar’s development.
Modi also laid the foundation stone for a ferry service between the port of Ghogha near Bhavnagar and Dahej near Bharuch. The project aims to facilitate speedy passenger travel and smooth cargo movement through the sea route between Ghogha and Dahej.
Modi also flagged off an anti-malnutrition rally in which over 30,000 persons reportedly took part.
The chief minister also announced the renaming of Bhavnagar University as ‘Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji University’.
- Gujarat celebrates R-Day with fervour - Jan 26, 2011
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- BJP meets president, demands Gujarat governor's removal - May 30, 2012
- Modi honours school teachers - Sep 04, 2010
- Gujarat to replace Bombay in old state laws: Modi - May 01, 2011
- Modi's fast unconstitutional: Madhya Pradesh JD-U - Sep 18, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
- Andhra governor asks people to act maturely - Jan 26, 2011
- 'Rath yatra' to herald Gujarat golden jubilee - Feb 09, 2010
- 12,000 RTI appeals pending in Gujarat: Activist - Aug 08, 2011
- Gujarat dances in joy over Cup victory - Apr 03, 2011
- Gujarat golden jubilee rath yatra flagged off - Feb 12, 2010
- Five chief ministers skip NIC meet - Sep 10, 2011
- Court's Gujarat Lokayukta order harms federalism: BJP (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Infrastructure for RORO ferry service to cost Rs.170 crore - Feb 24, 2010
Tags: acrobatics, bhavnagar, cargo movement, chief minister, coastal town, ferry service, folk songs, foundation stone, group photographs, gujarat, kamla, maharaja, malnutrition, narendra modi, national flag, passenger travel, republic day, sea route, thursday morning, turban