Millionaire households grow in ChinaJune 5th, 2012 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 5 (IANS) Ranking third on the worldwide list of millionaire households, the number of millionaires in China grew to 1.4 million last year, up 15.6 percent year-on-year.
China Daily quoted a report by the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) as saying that the number of millionaires in China would keep growing.
They will be driven by the large number of initial public offerings expected in the country and by new wealth generated mainly by entrepreneurs, the report said.
Around 175,000 households joined the ranks of the world’s millionaires last year, and most of them were from developing economies, particularly China and India, said the report.
Although the number of millionaire households fell by 182,000 in the US and Japan, the two countries still have the most millionaire households, with 5.1 million and 1.6 million respectively, BCG said.
Emerging economies drove the modest growth in global wealth last year and were the source of most of the world’s new millionaires.
Global private wealth growth last year was primarily driven by rapidly developing emerging economies, with total private wealth increasing by 18.5 percent in emerging economies including China, Brazil, India and Russia, and declining by 0.9 percent in North America, 0.4 percent in Western Europe, and 2 percent in Japan, the report said.
- China boasts 3rd-largest population of millionaires in the world - Dec 03, 2010
- Indian millionaires will see wealth grow fastest over next decade - Aug 17, 2011
- China had 535,000 millionaires in 2010 - Oct 13, 2011
- China has 960,000 millionaires and still counting... - Apr 13, 2011
- China's millionaires to cross 450,000 mark - Nov 20, 2009
- 'China may become world's second-largest travel and tourism market by 2013' - Mar 31, 2011
- Rich keep getting richer in US - Jul 06, 2011
- Japan's jobless rate falls - Jun 29, 2012
- China's rich building wealth in property - Dec 24, 2011
- China's Consumer Price Index eases - Aug 09, 2012
- Beijing, Shanghai gain top cities ranking - Mar 28, 2012
- Japan's GDP growth lowered to 5.6 percent - Dec 09, 2011
- Britain's GDP drops - Feb 25, 2012
- China has fourth highest number of millionaires in world - Apr 01, 2010
- Italy's GDP to drop in 2012 - May 23, 2012
Tags: 1 million, 6 million, bcg, boston consulting group, brazil, china beijing, china daily, developing economies, emerging economies, global wealth, India, initial public offerings, millionaire households, new millionaires, new wealth, north america, number of millionaires, private wealth, russia, western europe