Mexico to develop ‘Magic Villages’ for touristsJune 20th, 2010 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 20 (IANS/EFE) Mexico plans to develop its 35 towns into “Magic Villages” with an investment of $150 million to attract more tourists.
As part of the “Pueblos Magicos” (Magic Villages) programme, 1.9 billion pesos ($150 million) will be spent “to transform the urban image, renovate museums and galleries and restore convents and churches with historical and cultural value”, Mexico’s tourism department, Sectur, said in a statement.
The new investment will make it possible “to give each Pueblo Magico its own clearly identifiable personality”, Tourism Secretary Gloria Guevara said.
“Pueblos Magicos” have been identified in 25 of the 32 Mexican states and are characterised by the preservation of traditional culture, she said, adding that Indian and colonial influences blend there with reminders of great events in Mexican history.
Some of the picturesque locations include Real de Catorce, where Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts shot their movie “The Mexican”, and Dolores Hidalgo, from whose bell tower the Rev. Miguel Hidalgo declared Mexico’s independence in 1810.
Taxco, famous for handcraft silver jewellery, and San Cristobal de las Casas, with a 40-percent Indian population, are also on the list of proposed “Magic Villages”.
- Mexico sees adventure tourism as job generator - Oct 19, 2011
- Lightning kills boy, horse in Mexico - Jul 30, 2011
- Mexico, EU sign pact to boost tourism - Jan 24, 2012
- Mexico kicks off bicentennial celebrations - Sep 16, 2010
- 78 migrants hidden in trailer intercepted in Mexico - Apr 13, 2011
- Mexico's central bank sells $281 mn to ease volatility - Jul 25, 2012
- Mexico confident tourism sector will grow - Sep 20, 2012
- Mexico sees $3.5 bn foreign investment in tourism over 3 years - Apr 15, 2011
- Mexico to invest $250 mn in disaster insurance - Mar 05, 2012
- 219 migrants rescued from truck in Mexico - Jan 28, 2011
- Honduran woman finds missing son in Mexican jail - Nov 16, 2011
- Mexico's 2011 growth outlook improves - Dec 02, 2011
- Mexican soccer players' fines go to charity - Mar 30, 2011
- More than two mn Americans choose Mexico for retirement - Dec 04, 2011
- Mexican lawmakers approve creation of space agency - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,