McDonalds to go green with eco-friendly coffeeMay 27th, 2008 - 6:08 pm ICT by admin
Sydney , May 27 (ANI): Its burgers might be considered junk food, but McDonalds latest initiative to buy coffee beans grown in environmentally-friendly conditions, might prove to be the fast food giants first step towards going green.
The fast food chain has announced that next year onwards its 484 cafes will switch to coffee brought from South American plantations with the highest environmental standards.
In fact, from March next year, all McDonald’s coffee, that includes the filtered variety served at its drive-ins and restaurants, will bear the green frog label of the New York-based environmental organisation Rainforest Alliance.
According to McDonald’s chief operating officer, Catriona Noble, research showed that people “wanted to make a positive contribution”, and that buying a “sustainable” cup of coffee was one such way.
“Wanting to make the world a better place is no longer a niche [ideal] but a mainstream one,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted her, as saying.
McDonald’s, which makes about 5000 cups an hour and collects 20 per cent of the 1.15 billion dollars Australians spend on coffee in cafes, will be exerting pressure on other chains to stop sourcing coffee planted in land cleared of rainforests.
McDonald’s, Gloria Jeans, Starbucks and other retailers are jostling in order to make profits in the growing market for goods made ethically. (ANI)
- Burger King Free Coffee Offer A Boon For Coffee Lovers! - Nov 05, 2010
- Tatas sign formal pact for opening Starbucks cafes in India - Jan 30, 2012
- McDonalds to undergo a makeover worth billions of dollars - Apr 15, 2010
- McDonald's to pay Brazilian ex-employee $17,500 for weight he gained on the job - Oct 29, 2010
- Starbucks to enter India hand in hand with Tata Coffee - Jan 13, 2011
- Starbucks sued for 'unreasonably hot' tea - May 06, 2010
- McDonald' To Refund $3 On Return Of Shrek Glasses - Jun 09, 2010
- Five Guys Burger Voted As The Best Fast Food Burger In US - Aug 18, 2010
- McDonald's makeover to be worth $5 billion - Apr 17, 2010
- McDonald's Makeover To Be Worth Billions Of Dollars - Apr 15, 2010
- Snoop Dogg digs into junk food - Jul 19, 2011
- McDonald's fined in Brazil for including toys in kids' meals - Dec 07, 2011
- Starbucks Corp Plans "Coffee Theater" - Jun 26, 2010
- McDonald's to give free fruit with every Happy Meal - Jul 27, 2011
- Man refused job because he's too clever - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: american plantations, australians, billion dollars, burgers, chief operating officer, coffee beans, cup of coffee, environmental organisation, environmental standards, fast food, food chain, food giants, gloria jeans, green frog, junk food, mcdonalds, morning herald, rainforest alliance, starbucks, sydney morning herald