Many Britons don’t mind having kids without marryingSeptember 20th, 2012 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 20 (IANS) British family life appears to have undergone a major change as for the first time the number of unmarried couples with children has equalled those who tie the knot.
People are now just as likely to live together and have a baby as they are to get married.
Last year, 38 percent of the cohabiting couples were parents, exactly the same ratio as married couples with children, Daily Mail reported.
It shows fewer Britons having faith in the traditional view that children should be brought up in a home with married parents, despite evidence clearly showing that many more married couples stay together when compared to unmarried ones.
According to experts at Leeds University, working for Co-operative Legal Services, the number of married couples with children at home has crashed by 320,000 in the last decade.
The report, using data from the Office for National Statistics, also reflects that unmarried couples in the same situation went up by 290,000 in the same period — up a third. The number of lone parent families also risen more than 200,000 in a decade.
Christina Blacklaws, director of Family Law at The Co-operative Legal Services, said: “One of the important aspects of this report is that it shows how socially acceptable it is as a way of forming a family.
“That was always a taboo in days gone by you might live together, or ‘live in sin’ as a precursor to marriage but what the research now shows is that for the majority of people it is fine if people chose together and have children.”
- Married couples less likely to split up than cohabiting pairs - Mar 26, 2010
- Half of Brit kids 'see parents divorce before they reach 16' - Apr 18, 2011
- Nonstandard work schedules harmful for cohabiting parents - Nov 12, 2010
- 50pc Brit parents split up before their children turn 16 - Dec 07, 2010
- Forget divorce settlement, 'break-up payment' is the latest trend - Dec 30, 2010
- Living together before marriage doesn't increase divorce risk: Study - Mar 04, 2010
- Britain is a nation of happy couples - Feb 15, 2011
- Unwed parents wrecking families, says British study - Dec 07, 2010
- Brits falling out of love with matrimony - Feb 12, 2010
- Britain has happy couples, married or cohabiting - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,