Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in styleAugust 22nd, 2011 - 3:32 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 22 (IANS) Three giant wooden frames hung from the ceiling edged with hundreds of bulbs, a long glass ramp gleamed under the lights, the stage framed in ornate silver with long sheer curtains and a strong Bollywood presence - designer Manish Malhotra left no stone unturned to end the Fashion Week Winter/Festive 2011 with glitz, glamour and glitterati.
The grand finale show, which was inspired by Lakme’s new Absolute make-up line, displayed garments that were glamorous and sophisticated, with a soul that was Indian.
It saw an impressive line-up of stars gracing the first row, including Deepika Padukone, Imran Khan, Karan Johar, Karisma Kapoor, Amrita Arora, Shabana Azmi and Katrina Kaif.
Kareena Kapoor was the showstopper for the show, and sashayed down the ramp in a white layered lace, silk, net gown with a shimmer.
“I loved walking the ramp because I’m wearing an amazing outfit and the show is Manish’s, whose like family to me. So I was more than happy and confident. Manish is one of the best designers that we have. He has an amazing understanding of style. His sense of colour is so brilliant. He is truly a great talent,” Kareena told reporters here.
Manish was too excited to have Kareena as his showstopper for the grand finale collection.
“Kareena is like a younger sister to me, so it was great having her as the showstopper for this show. Although she is an actor and has no experience of modeling but she walks the ramp like an expert. She is a timeless beauty, ethereal, modern and classic,” he said.
Along with Kareena and Manish, others present at the show were also truly in a joyous mood. They even stepped on the ramp at the end of the show for a brief jig with the designer, the showstopper and the models.
Karan, Imran, Katrina, Karisma - all shook a leg to bring the event to a grand end.
“It was a fantastic show and I danced in the end because this show is very special to me. My best friend was showcasing his collection and my sister was walking the ramp, so I was very happy,” Karisma said.
As far as the collection was concerned, the line showcased Indian and western creations comprising swirling panelled lehengas, cholis, saris and gowns. Silver and resham embroidery covered the ensembles.
Fabrics like lace, chiffon, silk, net, velvet in primary shades of white and candy floss pink were teamed with black, wine, gold, pale grey, metallics and cherry red were used for the line.
Men’s wear was formal with sherwanis, some with wide cuffs, long smock coats at times pleated or gathered - were at others times lean and layered over kurtas. The colour story was masculine with black grey, white and wine with a hint of fuchsia for collars and cuffs.
- End of rivalry between Katrina and Kareena? - Aug 22, 2011
- Katrina, Imran bring curtains down at VHIMW - Sep 05, 2011
- Kareena helped in brand building: Pankaj-Nidhi - Aug 08, 2012
- Prateik is very spontaneous: Kalki Koelchin - Oct 09, 2011
- Kashmiri flowers gulaala, giltoor inspire Manish Malhotra's collection - Feb 18, 2012
- Manish wowed with his collection, B-town loved it too (With Images) - Aug 12, 2012
- Archana Kochhar gives retro twist to digital prints - Aug 07, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Rohit Bal displays 'Shanti' with Arjun Rampal on ramp - Jul 26, 2011
- Shilpa, Chitrangada mesmerise at WIFW finale - Oct 28, 2010
- Manish Malhotra Says No To Karan Johar! - Jan 17, 2011
- Wendell Rodricks splashes water on the LFW ramp - Aug 21, 2011
- LFW: Jatin Verma, Vizyon showcase a glamorous, gothic collection - Aug 04, 2012
- If Deepika Padukone has a Christian wedding - Oct 11, 2011
- GOW actress Huma puts her best foot forward at LFW - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: amrita arora, deepika padukone, fantastic show, fashion week, finale collection, glitterati, glitz glamour, grand finale, impressive line, joyous mood, karan johar, kareena kapoor, karisma kapoor, katrina kaif, lfw, malhotra, ornate silver, shabana azmi, sheer curtains, showstopper