Malaviya’s birth anniversary to be commemoratedJanuary 7th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) A national committee led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has been set up to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of freedom fighter and educationist Madan Mohan Malaviya, a statement said Saturday.
The panel is planning to reprint popular books by Malaviya, translate them into different languages and organise lectures on him in universities across the country.
A National Implementation Committee (NIC) led by MP Karan Singh has been constituted to consider the proposals, the culture ministry said in a statement.
The committee comprises Minister for Culture Kumari Selja, Law Minister Salman Khurshid, MP Satish Chandra Mishra and several academic heavyweights.
One of the highlights of the programmes is an interfaith seminar involving Benaras Hindu University (BHU), which Malaviya founded, Aligarh Muslim University, Central University of Tibetan Studies, Osmania University and Ambedkar University.
An exhibition on the contribution of Malaviya to education will tour the country.
The committee is also considering a Malaviya Bhavan at BHU and the establishment of a Malaviya Memorial Library at Malaviya Smriti Bhawan in the capital.
Malaviya, born Dec 25, 1861, in Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh, is known for his role in the Indian independence movement. He was also the president of the Indian National Congress on four occasions.
- Madan Mohan Malaviya's 150th birth anniversary to be celebrated - Sep 20, 2011
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Dec 27, 2011
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Madan Mohan Malaviya: As secular as Gandhi (IANS Book Review) - May 01, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi meets Kapil Sibal over student union poll issue - Oct 30, 2010
- Various events to mark Motilal Nehru's 150th birth anniversary - Jun 09, 2012
- AMU, Jamia born with minority character: Salman Khurshid - Mar 12, 2011
- Tripura government criticises Ambedkar cartoon - May 15, 2012
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Two mega Tagore film projects approved: Selja - Nov 11, 2011
- Classical singer Savita Devi to get Tansen Award - Nov 23, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi meets Sibal over student polls - Oct 30, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi meets Sibal over student union elections (Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Need to improve dignity of labour: Ramesh - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: ambedkar university, benaras hindu university, bhu, birth anniversary, freedom fighter, implementation committee, indian independence movement, indian national congress, karan singh, law minister, madan mohan, manmohan singh, muslim university, national implementation, organise lectures, osmania university, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, satish chandra, tibetan studies