Making calls least popular smartphone functionJune 30th, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) Mobile phones began life as machines built for talking - but now, actually making calls is one of their least popular functions.
Smartphone owners now spend just 12 minutes talking on their phones a day - but spend two hours using the gizmos, Daily Mail reported Friday.
Texting - formerly one of the reasons people became addicted to phones - is now less popular, with users spending just 10 minutes sending messages.
In terms of time spent, British users spend more time surfing the internet, checking social networking sites, playing games and listening to music.
The study of 2,000 smartphone users marking the launch of the Samsung found we spend almost 25 minutes a day surfing the internet.
Mobile phone users also spend a further 17 minutes checking and updating social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, the Mail said.
In comparison, just 12 minutes is spent actually talking to someone on a phone call, while sending text messages accounts for only 10 minutes of use a day.
- Half our waking life spent before TV, computers - Aug 19, 2010
- 1 in 10 Brit couples only chat by email or text - Oct 06, 2010
- What's between sheets? Facebook, Twitter! - Dec 13, 2010
- Samsung unveils new Galaxy smartphone - May 04, 2012
- MegaFon offers BlackBerry services in Russia - Dec 23, 2011
- Facebook to ask users phone details - Jun 15, 2012
- Now, Facebook launches its own phone - Feb 11, 2011
- Mobile phones users prefer using handsets for net surfing to PCs - Sep 21, 2010
- Young Brits prefer Facebook for staying in touch - Sep 17, 2011
- Internet-obsessed Aussies at 'infostress' risk - Mar 24, 2010
- Mobile users in UK turn to free instant messaging for communication - Apr 26, 2011
- Microsoft showcases next version of operating system - Mango - May 25, 2011
- Britons 'spend more Internet time reading news than looking at porn' - May 20, 2010
- Facebook set to launch mobile phone - Feb 11, 2011
- Internet firms spy on personal texts sent on smartphones - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: british users, daily mail, facebook, gizmos, internet mobile, launch, listening to music, london, mobile phone users, mobile phones, phone call, playing games, samsung, sending messages, sending text messages, smartphone, social networking sites, texting, time surfing