Mahesh Bhatt supports Aseem, calls for freedom of artSeptember 12th, 2012 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 12 (IANS) Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt has come out in support of cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, saying freedom of art is important for a peaceful society.
“I believe a society where you don’t give anyone a chance to express their anger via art, very dangerous people are born there. They then tell the same thing with the help of a gun and bullets,” the 63-year-old said at a press conference called here Tuesday to support Aseem.
“So It’s very important in a free society to create spaces where the angst of the young finds expression. Dissent is the life blood of a free society, that is the wealth,” he added.
Trivedi was arrested last Saturday by Mumbai Police which charged him, among other things, with sedition for insulting national emblems and the Constitution during the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare here December 2011.
The Bombay High Court, however, granted bail to the jailed cartoonist Tuesday.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Nitin Jamdar granted the bail, following a public interest litigation filed by lawyer Sanskar Marathe.
Bhatt, known to come out in the open on matters of such magnitude, feels it’s time to fight a long battle.
“Human tendency is such that when he gets the whip in his hands or sits in a position of power, he becomes cruel and uses the same whip which he had stood up against earlier. So I think it’s time to fight a long battle,” Bhatt said.
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi gets bail, refuses freedom till charge dropped (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Maharashtra High Court grants bail to Aseem Trivedi - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- I drew no wrong, I'm not sorry: Aseem Trivedi (Third lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- SIT to investigate cartoonist Trivedi's case - Sep 13, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released Wednesday - Sep 12, 2012
- Explain sedition charges against cartoonist, court tells police - Sep 14, 2012
- Current times worse than emergency: Advani - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist's arrest an over-stretch: Congress - Sep 10, 2012
- Bal Thackeray backs Trivedi, but raps him too - Sep 12, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Aseem Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- Family stands by jailed cartoonist, coal minister heckled - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, bombay high court, bullets, cartoonist, chief justice, corruption, dissent, division bench, human tendency, last saturday, life blood, magnitude, mohit, national emblems, nitin, peaceful society, public interest litigation, sanskar, sedition, whip