LS committee set up to look into cash-for-vote scam to meet todayJuly 30th, 2008 - 10:34 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 30 (ANI): The seven-member Lok Sabha committee set up by Speaker Somnath Chatterjee to look into the cash-for-vote scandal will hold its first meeting inside the parliament premises today.
The committee is expected collect evidence from the three BJP MPs - Ashok Argal, Fagan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora - as also the TV channel - CNN-IBN - that conducted the sting operation.
Headed by the Congress Kishore Chandra Deo, the committee is likely to view the original video footage and mike transcripts as part of its inquiry.
Earlier, the BJP MPs had filed a formal complaint with the Speaker alleging that Samajwadi Party General Secretary Amar Singh had offered them bribe for abstaining from the trust vote in the Lok Sabha on July 22.
On Wednesday, Chatterjee had said that nobody would be spared if found guilty.
The BJP claimed that its three MPs were offered three crore rupees each, and were handed over a total of one crore rupees in advance. The one crore rupees and the video tapes are still under the custody of Lok Sabha Secretary General PDT Achary, and will be deposited with the government after the probe.
Other members of the committee are VK Malhotra (BJP), Mohammed Salim (CPM), Ram Gopal Yadav (Samajwadi Party), Devendra Prasad Yadav (RJD), Rajesh Verma (BSP), and C Kuppusway (DMK). (ANI)
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- Second arrest made in cash-for-votes case - Jul 20, 2011
- Aide blames Amar in cash-for-votes scam, Amar denies - Jul 19, 2011
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Police file supplementary chargesheet - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Amar Singh declared not guilty in cash-for-vote scam - Oct 06, 2008
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Congress influencing police: Ashok Argal - Sep 06, 2011
- Cash-for-votes case: Amar Singh, five others chargesheeted - Aug 24, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- PM must clarify on Amar, says CPI - Sep 06, 2011
- Bid to target ex-MPs in cash-for-votes scandal: Naidu - Sep 10, 2011
- Meira Kumar sanctions prosecution of BJP MP Ashok Argal (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-vote case: Police file another charge sheet - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: amar singh, argal, ashok, bjp, cnn, cnn ibn, crore rupees, devendra, fagan, formal complaint, kishore, Lok Sabha, mahavir, ram gopal, rjd, Samajwadi Party, somnath, sting operation, trust vote, yadav