Literary fests popularise books: Naseeruddin ShahJanuary 13th, 2012 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 12 (IANS) Actor Naseeruddin Shah feels that literary festivals play an important role in spreading awareness about books among the new generation.
“If one of the purposes of literary festivals is to spread awareness about books and literature then it’s good. During our young days as we used to roam with bag full of books but now a days young boys move around with bag full of DVDs and computers. I think literary festivals help in creating that awareness about books,” Naseeruddin Shah told reporters on the sidelines of the Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival 2012.
Naseeruddin Shah won the hearts of the Kolkatans with his splendid recitation of poems of famous Urdu poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz at the programme organised here to commemorate the peot’s centenary celebrations.
“I am very much honoured to perform at this function which has been organised to commemorate 100 years of Faiz. I do not know much about poetry. But I like the works of Ghalib and Faiz,” he said.
- Kolkata literary fest to honour Tagore - Dec 19, 2011
- Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poetry relevant even today, says daughter - Feb 06, 2011
- Urdu poet's film shown in India after 53 years - Jan 12, 2012
- Faiz is beyond India-Pakistan politics: Daughter - Feb 12, 2011
- Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poems translated into German - May 27, 2012
- For Vidya, Urdu literature means Gulzar - Feb 17, 2012
- Urdu poetry blurs borders at Shankar-Shad 'mushaira' - Mar 24, 2012
- Poetry on stone: Timeless genre in revival across India (Feature, With image) - Jun 11, 2012
- Taking poetry to India's young readers - with Kamala Das - Apr 03, 2012
- Diplomat delights with poetry of promise (IANS Book Review) - Nov 07, 2011
- Events in Delhi to mark poet Faiz's birth centenary - Dec 28, 2010
- Diplomatic poetic literature: A growing creativity - Jul 27, 2012
- Kurup, new young poets bring Malayalam poetry to centre-stage - Oct 02, 2010
- Forgetting Ghalib is forgetting history, says writer-diplomat - Dec 25, 2010
- Odes to turbulent times, from India's 'bhasa' poets - May 22, 2012
Tags: 100 years, apeejay, centenary celebrations, dvds, fests, ghalib, hearts, kolkata, literary festivals, literature, naseeruddin shah, new generation, peot, poems, poetry, recitation, sidelines, urdu poet, young boys