Leave casual footwear, cut-offs in closet: Tom Ford advises gentlemenMarch 26th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 26 (ANI): American fashion designer Tom Ford has doled out tips on how a perfect gentleman should dress and behave.
Ford, 49, who is launching his own line of women’s clothing, shared some of his tips with Another magazine, and right at the top is leaving the casual footwear and cut-offs in the closet.
“A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate,” the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.
“Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach,” he said.
Ford also advices wealthy gentlemen of leisure to get a job.
“A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored,” he said.
“You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world,” he stated.
Manners are manly and chivalry is just as important as a trouser crease or the knot of a tie.
“I always open doors for women. I carry their coat. I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table,” he said.
But most importantly, for a fashionable soul, be a gentleman on the inside.
“Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background,” Ford said.
“You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you,” he added. (ANI)
- Step up your style with splash of colours this monsoon (Lifestyle Feature) - Jul 15, 2012
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- President Obama breaks another historic trend in his 'flip flops' - Jan 06, 2011
- Pixie Lott prefers mannerism over good looks - Jan 08, 2012
- Off with little black dress! Trousers are in - Jul 18, 2011
- Blue suede shoes? Here's how to preserve them - Mar 09, 2011
- Woman drops pant after rat runs up her trouser - Jun 12, 2012
- Delhi's burglars make hay while summer vacation shines - Jun 14, 2011
- Not far behind: Indian men's fashion catching up - Aug 23, 2011
- Amanda Holden poses as nude Marilyn Monroe in new shoe campaign - Apr 08, 2011
- Fergie designs shoe for charity - Dec 14, 2010
- Chuck white this summer, don coloured accessories - May 03, 2012
- Oliver Stone doles out financial advice - Sep 24, 2010
- Closet Organization Ideas For Comfortable Winter Cleaning - Dec 18, 2010
- 'Jon Stewart is not sexist' according to Daily Show's staff members - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: american fashion designer, casual footwear, chivalry, crease, cut offs, dinner table, ford, ford 49, gentlemen of leisure, job, knot, manners, new york daily news, open doors, perfect gentleman, stand up, tennis court, tom ford, york daily news