Kind hearted mums motivate kids to act similarlyJuly 14th, 2011 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, July 14 (IANS) Children whose mothers have a compassionate outlook are more likely to act in a similar way.
New research from the Telethon Institute and the University of Western Australia shows that parents have an important role to play in teaching their children to understand another person’s feelings and point of view.
“We found that mothers who have higher levels of empathy were more likely to encourage their children to think how others might be feeling,” said Brad Farrant from the Telethon Institute, who led the study, based on four-to-six-year-old children.
Farrant said children with more advanced perspective-taking skills behave more positively with other people, reports the journal Infant and Child Development.
“This could be as simple as asking the child to think about why another child might be angry with them,” Farrant said, according to a Telethon statement.
The results were drawn from a study of children from three primary schools in Perth’s Western and Southern suburbs.
-Indo-Asian News service
- Repeated stress in pregnancy ups risk of behavior problems in kids - Apr 21, 2011
- Low Vitamin D levels during pregnancy may affect kid's speech - Feb 15, 2012
- 'Junk food' moms have 'junk food' babies - Mar 24, 2011
- Happy people go for candies - Apr 20, 2011
- Pregnancy stress ups behavioural risks among kids - Apr 21, 2011
- Late-talking toddlers do grow up normally - Jul 05, 2011
- Socially anxious kids misread faces, face trouble - Apr 01, 2011
- Angry? Say a prayer - Mar 22, 2011
- Antibiotics do little to ease acute cough - Mar 25, 2011
- Brain imaging shows caregiving impulse - Mar 18, 2012
- Breastfed babies less aggressive, anxious or depressed - Jan 15, 2010
- Sunshine gives cover to kids against asthma - May 19, 2011
- Females get addicted to cocaine more easily - Mar 11, 2011
- Eavesdropping on cells' chats with nano-sensors - Jul 18, 2011
- Antibiotics of no use in sinus infections - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,