Kids with divorced parents ‘have more suicidal thoughts’January 20th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 20 (ANI): A new study has revealed that adult children of divorce are more likely to have seriously considered suicide than their peers from intact families.
University of Toronto investigators examined gender specific differences among a sample of 6,647 adults, of whom 695 had experienced parental divorce before the age of 18.
The study found that men from divorced families had more than 3 times the odds of suicidal ideation in comparison to men whose parents had not divorced.
Adult daughters of divorce had 83 per cent higher odds of suicidal ideation than their female peers who had not experienced parental divorce.
The link between divorce and suicidal ideation was particularly strong in families where childhood stressors like parental addiction, physical abuse, and parental unemployment also occurred.
For women who had not experienced these adverse childhood experiences, the association between parental divorce and suicidal ideation was no longer significant.
But even in the absence of these childhood stressors, men who had experienced parental divorce had twice the odds of having seriously considered suicide at some point in their life compared to men from intact families.
Researchers believe this could be due to the absence of close contact with a father that may occur post-divorce.
The study has been published online this week in the journal Psychiatry Research. (ANI)
- Parental divorce stokes stroke risk three-fold in males: Study - Sep 14, 2012
- Divorced couples' kids lag in math, social skills - Jun 02, 2011
- Lesbians, gays, bisexuals at higher risk for severe mental health problems - Feb 03, 2011
- Childhood abuse may cause suicidal thoughts in adulthood - Apr 25, 2012
- 'Abused kids face elevated cancer risk as adults' - Jul 18, 2012
- Victimized kids exposed to disasters 'face mental health issues' - Aug 27, 2010
- Disadvantaged kids more likely to be poor adults - Nov 17, 2010
- Healthy childhood boosts job prospects in middle-age - Sep 14, 2011
- Kids of divorced parents 'face higher stroke risk' - Nov 23, 2010
- Victimized baby birds grow into abusers themselves - Oct 04, 2011
- Children who lose parent to suicide may go the same way - Apr 22, 2010
- Childhood physical abuse linked to heart disease - Jul 23, 2010
- Having a child with autism doesn't put stress on parents' marriage: Study - May 20, 2010
- Positive parenting helps prevent obesity in kids - Feb 07, 2012
- Childhood cancer survivors experience suicidal thoughts - Oct 24, 2009
Tags: absence, adult children of divorce, adult daughters, adults, childhood stressors, children of divorce, close contact, female peers, intact families, kids with divorced parents, odds, parental divorce, physical abuse, psychiatry research, suicidal ideation, suicidal thoughts, suicide, toronto investigators, unemployment, university of toronto