Khadi, Gandhi topis at James Ferreira’s showOctober 12th, 2011 - 3:10 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 12 (IANS) Having made the models dance on popular item song “Sheila ki jawaani” last time, designer James Ferreira this time chose patriotic songs at the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week Spring Summer 2012 with Khadi and Gandhi caps being the star of his collection.
Ferreira’s collection had Khadi hand woven in new shades of orange, lime green and fuchsia. His collection saw a mix of Indian and western wear. He chose to stick to the Indian roots with Khadi and gave traditional Indian wear a classy and modern look.
“It’s high time that we bring Indian Khadi back in fashion. Khadi is the most beautiful fabric and has been highly disregarded in modern times. I have tried to give it a new life with my collection. We should be proud of whatever we have,” Ferreira said after the show.
The collection saw variety of garments from tunics, jackets, short dresses, skirts, jumpsuits to sarees, kurtis with modern churidars and dhotis. The fabrics included Italian georgettes, satin, organza and chiffons blended with khadi.
The models were seen walking the ramp with Gandhi topis on their heads and patriotic songs like “Mere desh ki dharti”, “Apni azadi ko hum”, Mera rang de basanti chola”, “Yeh desh hai veer jawano ka” and “Aae mere vatan ke logon” being played in the backdrop took the audience mood to another high. The show ended with the song “Saare jahan se acha.”
The audience also thoroughly enjoyed the show as they couldn’t stop themselves from hooting and cheering with every new song being played in the backdrop.
- Bollywood songs to add to your patriotic fervour - Aug 14, 2010
- Capping fashion: Making statement with Gandhi Topi (With Images) - Aug 24, 2011
- Designer Gaurang Shah teams with 250 weavers to revive handlooms (With Image) - Jun 24, 2012
- From huts to high streets: Khadi comes of age (Feature) - Sep 30, 2011
- Sushma Swaraj hits back at Congress on Rajghat dance (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Spotlight on Khadi at Kolkata fashion carnival - Sep 01, 2010
- Vidya, Sridevi cheer for Sabyasachi show at LFW - Aug 20, 2011
- Sunidhi dislikes tagging songs as 'item numbers' - May 29, 2012
- Deepika Govind's new designs mix style, power - Nov 15, 2011
- 'Raajneeti' going to IIFA, Prakash Jha panicky - May 06, 2010
- Enthralling Army forces' band adds patriotic fervour to CWG closing ceremony - Oct 14, 2010
- Vidya present to support Sabyasachi at WIFW finale - Apr 11, 2011
- Legendary Lata not ready to call it quits - Jun 05, 2011
- Rising temperatures increase sales of Khadi clothes - Apr 17, 2010
- Tribute to R.D. Burman in 'Main Aurr Mrs. Khanna' - Sep 30, 2009
Tags: apni, azadi, chola, churidars, desh, ferreira, gandhi, high time, india fashion week, indian roots, khadi, kurtis, lime green, mere desh ki dharti, organza, patriotic songs, short dresses, topis, vatan, wills lifestyle india fashion week