Kerala not to take over Padmanabhaswamy temple: MinisterApril 20th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 20 (IANS) Newly-appointed Kerala Home Minister T.Radhakrishnan Friday said the state government would not take over the management of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple, which has been in the news after priceless treasures were unearthed from its vaults July last year.
“The state government has no plan at all to take over the temple management. Our job is to provide the security to the temple and that we will do it with utmost earnestness,” Radhakrishnan told reporters while visiting the 16th century temple in Thiruvananthapuram after taking charge as the state’s new home minister.
Currently, the affairs of the temple are run by an executive committee which includes members of the temple management and representatives of the royal family of Travancore.
Following the discovery of the treasure, an expert committee appointed by the Supreme Court in its report had suggested a security ring for the temple vaults at par with those available for the strong rooms of the Reserve Bank of India.
An apex court appointed panel began opening six chambers in the temple last year to make an inventory of the stock. The decision on opening the last of the six chambers is pending with the apex court.
According to the court-appointed panel, the entire stock-taking process is being videographed and a bar code is placed on the articles found, to make the valuation more authentic.
The unofficial estimate puts the valus of the gems and jewellery found so far in the five chambers of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple at Rs.1 lakh crore ($22 billion), making it one of the richest temples in the country.
- Woman's presence holds up temple treasure assessment - Sep 20, 2012
- Documentation of Padmanabhaswamy temple treasure begins - Feb 20, 2012
- Stocktaking of Kerala temple treasure begins - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Temple treasure counting to resume soon' - Jul 28, 2011
- Experts to begin documenting Kerala temple treasure - Jul 31, 2011
- Special security for Kerala temple - Jul 03, 2011
- Stock-taking at Kerala's famed temple chambers - Jun 27, 2011
- Kerala temple's riches state assets: CPI-M - Sep 19, 2011
- Documentation of Padmanabhaswamy temple's treasure begins - Feb 27, 2012
- As cameras enter Kerala temple, prists plan special prayers - Aug 07, 2011
- Experts begin documenting Kerala temple treasure - Aug 01, 2011
- Tight security as Kerala temple's treasure trove opened - Jul 01, 2011
- Kerala temple treasure's documentation begins Nov 9 - Oct 15, 2011
- Priests warn against opening Kerala temple's vault (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Apex court names panel to evaluate Kerala temple treasure - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: 1 lakh, 16th century, apex court, bank of india, discovery of the treasure, earnestness, expert committee, home minister, padmanabhaswamy temple, priceless treasures, radhakrishnan, reserve bank of india, royal family, rs 1, strong rooms, thiruvananthapuram, travancore, unofficial estimate, valus, vaults