Juice from potato cures ulcersAugust 9th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) Juice from the humble potato could treat gastric ulcers, thanks to its unique anti-bacterial properties, says a new research.
A Manchester University microbiology team now hopes the compound, dubbed ‘potato juice’ could go into production as a daily diet supplement. Inspiration came as one of the department’s scientists tucked into a spud for Sunday lunch.
It led to the discovery of a key molecule which could both cure and prevent the bacteria that lives in the stomach and causes stomach ulcers and heartburn.
Uniquely, unlike with anti-biotics, the gut bug cannot develop resistance to the ‘potato juice’ which also does not cause any side-effects. Scientists even carried out the test on different types of potatoes — discovering that Maris Piper and King Edward varieties worked the best.
The process to extract the as yet unnamed molecule has now been patented, with hopes it could one day be sold as a supplement similar to pro-biotic yoghurt drinks, the Daily Mail reported.
Ian Roberts, professor of microbiology at the Faculty of Life Sciences, who worked on the discovery, said: “When I first heard about the idea of using potatoes to treat stomach ulcers I have to admit I was a bit sceptical. But on another level I wasn’t surprised - a lot of botanical products have very interesting compounds and we just have to find them.”
“We see this ‘potato juice’ as a preventative measure to stop stomach ulcers developing that people would take as part of a healthy lifestyle. It could be a huge market if we can get it developed,” added Roberts.
- Probiotic to treat ulcers identified - Feb 25, 2011
- Lowly yoghurt could boost male virility too - May 09, 2012
- 'Good bacteria' in yogurt may not be as healthy as you think! - Dec 27, 2010
- Friendly bugs can now be delivered safely to guts - Sep 06, 2011
- Blueberries could protect against colon cancer - Feb 10, 2010
- Gut bug may cause development of Parkinson's - May 23, 2011
- Nanotechnology could help smuggle drugs into the gut - Nov 05, 2010
- Can flu infections prevent asthma? - Dec 14, 2010
- Gut bug may hold key to inflammatory bowel disease treatment - Jan 20, 2010
- 'Super food' dark chocolates are healthier than fruits: Study - Feb 07, 2011
- Honey can work as antibiotic - Jul 01, 2010
- Potato diet cuts blood pressure, causes no weight gain - Sep 01, 2011
- How honey kills bacteria - Jul 01, 2010
- Estrogen found to protect against gastric cancer - Jul 18, 2011
- Bacteria in mouth may offer probiotic potential against upper respiratory infections - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: bacteria, botanical products, compounds, daily mail, diet supplement, gastric ulcers, healthy lifestyle, heartburn, huge market, humble potato, ian roberts, life sciences, manchester university, maris piper, microbiology, molecule, potatoes, preventative measure, spud, stomach ulcers