Joy Mitra brings ‘Malgudi Days’, Sharmila Tagore to rampApril 7th, 2011 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) Fashion designer Joy Mitra went back down the memory lane - into the times of “Malgudi Days” for his ethnic, fusion collection at the ongoing Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW), with veteran actress Sharmila Tagore taking centrestage as the showstopper Thursday.
“‘Malgudi Days’ is complete nostalgia for me. We have grown up reading those stories…so it was easy taking it as an inspiration for this line,” said Mitra.
The mood was rightly set with Carnatic musician L. Vaidyanathan’s famous “Malgudi Days” theme song playing in the background, and female models sashaying down the ramp wearing saris, anarkalis, long jackets, stoles, and men clad in jackets, kurtas and elaborate stoles as well.
Colours like black and brown, mixed with indigos and maroons, teamed with a lot of textures, and hand embroidery and prints were used on fabrics like wool, silk, georgette, corduroys and even cottons. Small check prints were also prominent in the collection.
Sharmila, who looked her royal self in a brown and maroon sari, said she could connect with the theme of Mitra’s line.
“We all have read ‘Malgudi Days’, and everyone knows it is very Indian at heart. Even Joy’s collection is ethnic, very rooted in Indian culture, yet it has a very contemporary edge. So I connected very well with it. I think it’s a very special collection,” Sharmila told IANS.
The 64-year-old actress said she was not nervous before walking the ramp as “I had just done it last time for Ritu Kumar”. She admitted she agreed to walk for Joy for his distinct style.
“I love Joy’s outfits. They are elegant and wearable…he doesn’t make bizarre and outlandish garments, and that is what I like most about his clothes,” she added.
- Archana Kochhar gives retro twist to digital prints - Aug 07, 2012
- Walking the ramp is fun for me: Sharmila Tagore - Aug 09, 2012
- Make your cult in bridal wear: Tarun Tahiliani - Jul 25, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Debarun Mukherjee's love for saris continues at LFW - Mar 04, 2012
- Kirron walks the ramp, adds film flavour (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
- It's traditional over glitzy saris for Sharmila! (WIFW Diary) - Apr 08, 2011
- Sharmila Tagore to walk for Ashima-Leena at DCW (With Image) - Aug 05, 2012
- Sonakshi Sinha wants a simple, beach wedding - Sep 14, 2012
- Koena Mitra becomes demure Radha at WIFW - Mar 26, 2010
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Dongre's tribute to Indian textiles at LFW (With Images) - Jul 28, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (Lead with correction in second para) - Aug 10, 2012
- Irrfan Khan walks ramp for Rohit-Abhishek at mens week - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: black and brown, centrestage, check prints, corduroys, distinct style, fashion designer, female models, hand embroidery, india fashion week, indigos, kurtas, malgudi days, memory lane, royal self, sharmila tagore, silk georgette, stoles, vaidyanathan, veteran actress, wills lifestyle india fashion week