Jilted beau in court for sending 17,000 SMSs to ex-loverJune 10th, 2011 - 1:03 am ICT by IANS
London, June 9 (IANS) A jilted lover in Britain faces the possibility of a prison term for bombarding his ex-girlfriend with 17,000 SMSs and phone calls - including 180 on one particular day.
Glynn Johnson, 21, pushed the woman to “breaking point” after she dumped him, contacting her on average 47 times a day over a year with unwanted calls, texts and Facebook messages, a hearing was told, Dail Mail reported Thursday. The woman was not named due to legal requirements.
Johnson, who pleaded guilty to harassment at the Plymouth Magistrates Court in Devon, was warned he could be sent to jail when he is sentenced next month.
The court heard how Johnson and the woman entered into a “tempestuous” relationship in 2007 and had a child together. They broke up shortly after. Last year, they got back together and the woman again became pregnant, with the child being born in January.
But they again split up and the question of paternity was raised. The woman refused to let Johnson see the second child.
Prosecutor Julia Cox said: “But when she tried to end it he then became manipulative and psychologically abusive.”
“He started a battle with her via telephone calls because she wasn’t accepting his advances.
“The majority of the messages were threatening violence against her and her family.”
Adjourning sentencing until July 4, Magistrate Barry Brooking said he would consider all options, including custody, due to the “constant nature” and “high volume” of calls and texts.
He said: “We must also consider the high volume and the strong psychological effect this had on the victim.”
- 'Dead' woman comes alive in China - Aug 03, 2012
- US mother kills 4 kids before herself - May 16, 2012
- Indian-origin teacher found guilty of sex with students - Nov 19, 2010
- Briton gets 18-year jail for slitting woman's throat - Apr 21, 2012
- Woods files papers to dismiss paternity case - Jul 12, 2010
- Angry Liz Hurley 'dumps' Shane Warne - Dec 21, 2010
- Indian-origin teacher jailed for sex with pupils - Nov 23, 2010
- Married UK woman weds second man then runs off with third after honeymoon - Apr 04, 2011
- Brit cop howls like baby as he's jailed for having sex while on duty - Mar 16, 2011
- Brit hospital worker becomes first man to be jailed for stalking by blog - Mar 10, 2011
- Oz student jailed for seeking 'vampire sex' online from girls under 14 - Feb 10, 2011
- New Zealand's 'Mary and Joseph billboard' creates controversy - Dec 15, 2011
- Bieber to take paternity test - Nov 08, 2011
- 'All-over tan on holiday' letter helps UK woman councillor win harassment case - Sep 17, 2010
- One in 10 end relationship with text message - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: adjourning, breaking point, cox, devon, ex girlfriend, harassment, high volume, july 4, magistrate, magistrates court, mail, phone calls, plymouth, prison term, prosecutor, psychological effect, smss, tempestuous relationship, texts, violence against