Jewelled tones, 3-D imagery highlight of Niki Mahajan’s collectionMarch 10th, 2009 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) Known for recreating past regalia with a modern touch, designer Niki Mahajan has for her autumn-winter collection created beautiful jewelled tone dresses with an Indian touch to give a 3-D illusion.
“I have used a lot of fragmentation this time which means that there is a bit of everything in a dress. I have used different embroidery, different fabrics and different shades in a dress to give it a three-dimensional look,” Mahajan told IANS at the preview of her autumn-winter collection here Monday.
“This time again the emphasis is on colour palette and I have used bright jewelled tones that depict happiness,” she added.
Mahajan’s creative journey began in 1998 when she launched her label- Niki Mahajan.
The designer has always given importance to rich Indian heritage crafts and her work celebrates rural, indigenous hand craft techniques of India.
“When I launched my label, I realized the fact that Indian craft is fast fading. Hence I started working on Indian fabrics, textiles, embroideries, dyeing and printing techniques,” Mahajan explained.
Elaborating more about her collection Mahajan said: “It’s a celebration of womanhood. The clothes have a soft and feminine appeal and are meant for women who love freedom.”
Mahajan has used mostly silk in her range with a bit of lace, net, velvet and cotton.
“Most of my dresses are made of silk with a mix of other fabrics because I wanted to give the fragmented look in my designs,” she maintained.
- JLo's style, chutzpah inspires designer Charu Parashar - Apr 07, 2011
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- Western styles merge with Indian crafts at Wills fashion show (With Images) - Mar 26, 2010
- Ritu Kumar's collection rules ramp on day one of Wills India Fashion Week - Mar 26, 2010
- Indira Baikerikar's latest collection an ode to artisans - Jul 15, 2012
- Global despair inspires designer''s creations at fashion week - Mar 21, 2009
- Clothes made from recycled material sizzle India Fashion Week - Apr 10, 2011
- Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week kicks off in New Delhi - Mar 26, 2010
- It's time India sets the trends: Neeru Kumar - Apr 07, 2011
- Jaya Rathore explores heritage weaves for bridal line (With images) - Aug 18, 2011
- Prachi shines at Neeta Lulla's show - Aug 20, 2011
- Indian fashion weeks are interactive: British jewellery designer - Dec 10, 2011
- Anuradha offers ethnic designs for modern women (With Images) - Jan 01, 2012
- Get set for the comeback of satin! - Feb 26, 2012
- Kashmiri flowers gulaala, giltoor inspire Manish Malhotra's collection - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: autumn winter, colour palette, craft techniques, creative journey, dyeing, embroideries, embroidery, feminine appeal, fragmentation, hand craft, heritage crafts, indian craft, indian fabrics, indian heritage, New Delhi, niki mahajan, printing techniques, regalia, winter collection, womanhood