Japanese lady, 73, awarded for scaling Mt. EverestMay 26th, 2012 - 5:46 am ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 26 (IANS) A 73-year-old Japanese lady who climbed Mount Everest, the world’s highest mountain, this past week has been awarded by the Guinness World Records.
On Friday, Asian Trekking, a Kathmandu-based organisation, handed over a copy of the award of “Oldest Person to climb Mt. Everest (Female)” to Tamae Watanabe on behalf of Craig Glenday, Guinness World Record Editor-in- Chief, Xinhua reported.
On May 19, Watanbe and her team of four successfully scaled the 8,848-metre-high Mt. Everest from China’s Tibet side beating her own record of being the eldest woman to have climbed the peak.
The original copy will be handed over in Japan after her return. She previously climbed Mt. Everest at the age of 63 in 2002.
As a passionate climber, Watanabe has climbed over a dozen mountains across the world of which six are above the 8,000 metres.
The oldest person to have climbed Mount Everest before Watanbe, has been 76-year old Min Bahadur Sherchan from Nepal who reached the peak in 2008.
- 73-year-old woman climbs Mount Everest - May 19, 2012
- First Bangladeshi woman to climb Everest - May 19, 2012
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- Haryana couple takes love to great height - Mt Everest - May 20, 2011
- Woman, 71, seeks to show age is no bar on Everest - Apr 12, 2010
- Bachendri Pal's brother, 2 others scale Mt. Everest (With Images) - May 26, 2012
- Indians among top Everest conquerors - Jul 15, 2011
- Indian Army women's team to again attempt Mt. Everest (Lead, superseding prervious story) - Mar 12, 2012
- Nepali grandpa wrests Everest title from Japanese samurai - Nov 23, 2009
- Nepali runner wins world's highest marathon race - May 29, 2012
- 'Super Sherpa' hangs up Everest boots after 21st summit - May 27, 2011
- Indian Everest dreams soar to record high in 2011 - Feb 04, 2011
- Everest superstar eyes 20th summit - Mar 12, 2010
- Nepal's 9-yr-old to defy age bar for Everest record - Nov 05, 2010
- 82-year-old's death on Everest can't dampen 'old' climbers - May 10, 2011
Tags: china, craig glenday, guinness world record, guinness world records, highest mountain, japan, japanese lady, kathmandu, mount everest, mountains, mt everest, nepal, oldest person, tibet, watanabe, xinhua