It’s snowing Valentine’s fun in HimachalFebruary 13th, 2012 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 13 (IANS) Moderate to heavy snowfall occurred at many places in Himachal Pradesh Monday, giving that extra nip to Valentine’s Day celebrations.
Shimla and its nearby popular destinations like honeymooner’s paradise Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda experienced fresh snowfall, triggering a rush of tourists there.
Manali and Solang Valley, known for skiing, saw moderate to heavy snowfall.
“The entire higher reaches of Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Shimla, Kullu and Chamba district witnessed heavy snowfall during the past 24 hours. Such conditions would continue till Tuesday,” a weatherman said.
Manali experienced the highest snow of 35 cm in the state.
According to meteorological office, Mount Jakhu, the highest peak in Shimla, received more than 2.4 cm of snowfall.
Lower areas of the state including Dharamsala, Solan, Nahan and Mandi received moderate to heavy rain, bringing the temperature down considerably.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district was the coldest town in the state with a low of minus 7.9 degrees Celsius. It saw 11 cm of snow.
The minimum temperatures in Shimla and Manali were 1.2 degrees and minus 1 degree, respectively.
Kalpa, some 250 km from Shimla, saw the night temperature at minus 2.6 degrees Celsius, while it was 3.1 degrees in Dharamsala. Kalpa saw 10 cm of snow, while Dharamsala recorded 18.8 mm of rain.
There is good news for V-Day revellers. The Met department predicted that Shimla and Manali are likely to witness mild to moderate spells of snow Tuesday.
The snowfall has cheered hoteliers as they are expecting a spike in tourist footfalls, mainly youngsters, who want to celebrate a “white” Valentine’s Day Tuesday.
Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corp general manager Yogesh Behl said the tourists have been heading to Shimla, Kufri, Narkanda, Manali and Dalhousie.
“At most of these destinations, couples can get the chance to hurl snowballs at each other,” he added.
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Head to Himachal hills for a white V-Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get more snowfall (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Himachal may experience heavy snow, rain - Mar 01, 2011
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Shimla, Manali shiver - Feb 09, 2012
- More snow in store for Shimla, Manali - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,