It’s Barbie’s Birthday Today!March 9th, 2009 - 8:40 pm ICT by GD
Barbie celebrates her fiftieth birthday today and looks the ageless perfection she was the day she entered our lives half a century ago. With her perky chest and wasp-like waist, mile long legs and gorgeous styling she entered the life of little girls way back in 1959 wearing a black and white striped swimsuit, and the next morning she was already on her way to becoming a pop icon.
Millions of Barbies have been sold still. She appeared on the news, in magazines, on TV, and has juggled numerous careers with wearing haute couture. The manufacturers claim over ninety percent US girls have at least one Barbie doll.
But even with the facts rolled out, Barbie’s figure, her boyfriend and her clothes seems to still disturb adults. Barbie’s 36-24-36 is perceived as a wrong message to young girls who can be led to believe that to be accepted in social circles it is important to have a body like her doll’s. The exaggerated figure, it is argued, may force children to practice bad food habits to get a Barbie-like appearance, in spite of many children saying it does not even occur to them. So is it parental angst against a popular doll at it s extreme?
The other objection is with the idea that Barbie’s having a boyfriend can put wrong romantic images into a child’s mind. But manufacturers argue that with sitcoms on TV blaring images of love and sexuality, how does the Barbie doll alone make changes to the child’s psyche about sexuality and romantic love?
Barbie’s outfits also have come under attack too many times on grounds that it was not modest enough. The most recent controversy is a tattooed Barbie, which is again attacked for sending the wrong message to children. But the truth is, if a girl wants her Barbie, there is no stopping her. And it is perhaps this feverish passion of owning the doll that makes Barbie sit with her smile and beautifully shod feet as she celebrates her fiftieth today.
- Barbie Doll Camera Boycott Urged By Psychologists - Nov 02, 2010
- 'Busty Barbie' creates a controversy - May 25, 2010
- No Recall For New 'Busty Barbie' in 'Barbie Basic's Collection - May 26, 2010
- New dolls on Pattinson, Stewart 'Twilight' wedding - Jan 12, 2012
- Barbie to reunite with beau Ken in 'Toy Story 3' (With Images) - Jun 08, 2010
- Katrina Kaif: The Perfect Barbie Doll! - Nov 25, 2010
- FBI Issues Warning Notice About Barbie "Video Girl" Doll - Dec 05, 2010
- Bring Barbie to your bedroom this festive season - Sep 25, 2010
- Barbie doll-maker slammed over recruitment of models as young as 12 - Feb 13, 2011
- Are Barbie and Ken getting together again after 43 yrs? - Feb 07, 2011
- Life-sized model of Barbie creates a buzz - Apr 20, 2011
- Barbie Doll Link Takes User To Pornographic Site - Dec 24, 2010
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011
- Putin's 'mistress' planning to release Barbie-style doll of herself - Jan 20, 2011
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: barbie doll, barbies, feverish passion, fiftieth birthday, food habits, girls way, half a century, haute couture, little girls, long legs, next morning, objection, pop icon, psyche, romantic images, sexuality, sitcoms, social circles, wasp, young girls