Internet rewiring youngsters’ minds, say expertsFebruary 11th, 2010 - 3:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, February 11 (ANI): The constant use of Internet is reducing students’ ability to read and write properly and “rewiring” their minds, researchers have observed.
Professor David Nicholas, University College London, came up with a survey to determine how the virtual world made an impact on the brain.
Boffins found that younger people wandered from one page to the other rather than concentrating on one source and also took far less time to research their answers.
“The really big surprise was that people seemed to be skipping over the virtual landscape. They were hopping from sites, looking at one or two pages, going to another site, looking at one or two pages and then going on. Nobody seemed to be staying anywhere for very long,” the Telegraph quoted Professor Nicholas as saying.
The findings were due to be unwrapped in the final episode of BBC2’s The Virtual Revolution.
Documentary presenter and social psychologist Dr Aleks Krotoski added: ‘It seems pretty clear that, for good or ill, the younger generation is being remoulded by the web.
‘Facebook’s feedback loops are revolutionising how they relate. There is empirical evidence now that information overload and associative thinking may be reshaping how they think.
‘For many, this seems to be a bleak prospect - young people bouncing and flitting between a thoughtless, throwaway virtual world.’ (ANI)
- Sunderland is Facebook capital of Britain - Feb 24, 2010
- Google launches virtual tour of world's finest museums - Feb 02, 2011
- Research identifies how cancer cells cheat death - Jun 09, 2011
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- India celebrates - and debates - relevance of Charles Dickens - Feb 06, 2012
- General anesthesia 'puts brain into a state of reversible coma, not sleep' - Dec 30, 2010
- Obama bars daughters from Facebook - Dec 17, 2011
- Facebook's decision to guard 'illegal contents' spurs debate over free speech on internet - Dec 13, 2010
- Daniel Tosh Single Handedly Crashes Celebrity Networth Web Page - Sep 09, 2010
- Parents in Britain fear internet's influence on kids - Jul 05, 2011
- Working memory tied to wandering mind - Mar 16, 2012
- 'Fatherhood hormones' to help bonding with baby - Aug 16, 2010
- Dog gave birth to a kitten? Not a cock and bull story - Jul 21, 2012
- Muamba posts picture on Twitter - Mar 30, 2012
- Are terrorists using Facebook to exchange bomb recipes? - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,