Indonesia mulls mini-skirt banMarch 29th, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 29 (IANS) Indonesia has plans to ban the mini-skirt under its stringent anti-pornography laws as it believes “they make men do things”.
According to the Muslim-dominated country’s religious affairs minister, one of the considerations in its review of what could be considered pornographic would be “when someone wears a skirt above the knee”, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.
Minister Suryadharma Ali literally started a war against the mini-skirt soon after he was appointed to run Indonesia’s new anti-porn task force earlier this month.
Parliamentary speaker Marzuki Alle also recently hit out against the mini-skirt. But he targeted women politicians wearing skirts above the knee.
Alle said he was preparing draft rules banning women politicians and staff members from wearing mini-skirts because “there have been a lot of rape cases and other immoral acts recently and this is because women aren’t wearing appropriate clothes”.
“You know what men are like — provocative clothing will make them do things,” he added.
Indonesia is the world’s largest Muslim nation, making up 12 percent of the global Islamic population.
- Women banned from wearing mini-skirts to work - Jul 31, 2010
- Women share their thoughts on porn on first annual Ladyporn Day - Feb 25, 2011
- Indonesia threatens to ban BlackBerry over porn content - Sep 01, 2010
- Kashmiri religious group issues dress code for tourists - Jul 04, 2012
- 99 Chinese websites found offering porn novels - May 11, 2011
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- China bans 43 online pornographic novels - Jun 07, 2011
- Dress modestly or for ease? China eves debate - Jul 13, 2012
- English council bans mini-skirts in office - Jul 31, 2010
- Protests Bring End to Chilean Governor's Miniskirt Ban - Aug 20, 2010
- Fine for women wearing miniskirts in Italian beach town - Oct 26, 2010
- Mayor of Castellammare di Stabia Proposes Miniskirt Ban - Oct 25, 2010
- 52 mn pirated, porn publications seized in China in 2011 - Jan 06, 2012
- China cracks down on pornography - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, daily mail, draft rules, immoral acts, indonesia, islamic population, london march, mini skirt, mini skirts, muslim nation, parliamentary speaker, pornography laws, provocative clothing, rape cases, religious affairs, staff members, suryadharma ali, task force, wearing skirts, women politicians