Indias sole Olympic gold medallist Abhinav returns homeAugust 14th, 2008 - 10:09 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 14 (ANI): Indias lone Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra returned home late in the wee hours of morning. He was given a rousing welcome at the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
Besides his family, a large number of Abinavs fans had gathered at Airport to receive him.
His father AS Bindra, his mother Babli Bindra, his sister and brother-in-law were also present at the airport.
I am very happy. I feel honoured that I have won the first gold medal in the Olympics, said Abhinav amidst beating of drummers and huge presence of media persons and security personnel.
Today, Abhinav is scheduled to meet Union Sports Minister MS Gill, President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee. Bindra had been fourth after qualifying but had a brilliant final round and he hit a near perfect 10.8 on his last shot to pull in front of Henri Hakkinen of Finland, who fell to bronze with a poor final shot.
He hit a near perfect 10.8 in a brilliant final shot to pull ahead of Henri Hakkinen of Finland, who stumbled in his last shot allowing Chinas Zhu Qinan, the favourite, to take the silver.
India had only won four individual medals, none of them gold, since sending their first team to the Summer Games in 1928.
The mens hockey team has won the Olympic tournament eight times, but the last time was in 1980. (ANI)
- Bindra wants Olympic sports to be given priority - Aug 14, 2008
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Hamid Ansari compliments Bindra for his hard work - Aug 14, 2008
- Olympics: India pins hopes on shooters Abhinav, Gagan - Jul 29, 2012
- Winning two silver medals in a tough field is creditable, says Narang - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympic gold medalists victory dominates national media - Aug 12, 2008
- Asian Games: Gagan Narang shoots a silver double on opening day (Intro Round Up) - Nov 13, 2010
- Abhinav''s father wants him to dedicate gold medal to soldiers - Aug 12, 2008
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- India expecting first Asian Games medals from Bindra, Narang - Nov 12, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang gives India double silver on opening day (Roundup) - Nov 13, 2010
- Bindra wins silver in Asian Airgun Championship - Oct 19, 2011
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: Narang helps India win two silver - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: abhinav bindra, dr manmohan singh, gold medal winner, gold medallist, hakkinen, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, media persons, olympic gold medal, olympic tournament, personnel today, president pratibha patil, rousing welcome, sister and brother, somnath chatterjee, sonia gandhi, union sports