Indian weddings have become liberal: Shantanu and NikhilAugust 12th, 2012 - 2:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) Designer duo Shantanu and Nikhil, who showcased their couture collection at the ongoing Delhi Couture Week (DCW), said Indian weddings have become very modern and open-minded and that was why the colour black has also made its entry into the wedding trousseau.
“Indian weddings have become very elaborate and liberal now. It’s not just a one-day function but requires so many days to finish. Now-a-days there are even theme weddings, so I don’t think that black is not a wedding colour. May be some people don’t prefer to wear it on their wedding day but it could be used for a cocktail or a bachelorette party,” Shantanu said after the show.
The designers, known for their fusion of east and west, unveiled a collection titled “She is the One” that paid an ode to the woman of today who is powerful and modern.
“Our design represents a woman of today, who has deeply inspired not only us but the world in total with her great power to withstand the extreme surroundings that constantly put her down,” Nikhil said.
The ramp was converted into a world map with scattered chairs piled up to the ceiling in the background.
The designs varied from lehengas, skirts, dresses to saris. The fabrics used were silk, French lace and nets.
A lot of metal was used in the garments, which resulted in heavy clothes. The heaviest of all weighed 15 kg.
The collection had colour palettes of vintage tones of burnt blues with a strong element of gold and finally a dose of black and red.
Sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan and sons Ayan and Amaan, model-actress Anupama Verma and actor Mukul Dev were in the front row supporting the designers.
- Actresses Neha Dhupia, Prachi Desai walk the ramp at Mumbai's India Bridal Week - Nov 01, 2010
- Papa Shatrughan gets emotional as Sonakshi walks the ramp - Jul 25, 2011
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (Lead with correction in second para) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sonam Kapoor dazzles at Manish Malhotra's show - Jul 25, 2011
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
- JJ Valaya couture collection mix of past designs - Jul 23, 2011
- Meera-Muzzafar Ali introduce short dresses on the ramp - Jul 23, 2011
- Pre-bridal outfits on Preeti Ghai's shelf - Aug 24, 2011
- Pam pays tribute to modern women with spring-summer collection (With Image) - Mar 06, 2012
- Manish wowed with his collection, B-town loved it too (With Images) - Aug 12, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- It's fun designing Genelia's wedding trousseau: Ritu Kumar (With Images) - Feb 01, 2012
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- A cultural potpourri at Pakistan's Bridal Week (Curtain Raiser) - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: amjad ali khan, anupama verma, ayan, bachelorette party, colour black, couture collection, dcw, french lace, front row, garments, indian weddings, model actress, mukul dev, New Delhi, sarod maestro amjad ali khan, shantanu, theme weddings, wedding day, wedding trousseau, world map