Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image)September 5th, 2012 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 5 (IANS) A sand sculpture on marine conservation created by Indian sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won the prestigious audience prize at an international sand art competition held in Copenhagen, the artist said Wednesday.
Pattnaik’s 20-feet high sculpture ‘Save the Ocean’ got as many as 23,000 votes from a total of 80,000 cast by visitors at the Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship and festival, which began May 31 in Denmark.
Nine other artists from different parts of the world, including Canada, Russia, Bulgaria, Ireland, England, Germany, Ukraine and Ghana, had also participated in the competition, Pattnaik told IANS.
“For this sculpture I had won the 1st prize May 31. The result of the ‘Politiken Plus Audience Prize’ was announced Tuesday after the voting ended,” he said.
The sculpture will be on display at the festival till Sep 9, Pattnaik said.
“Inge Faerch, the director of the festival informed me today (Wednesday) on e-mail the result of the audience prize and congratulated me,” he added.
Pattnaik has been doing sand art for more than 20 years at the beach of his home town Puri, 57 km from here.
He has participated in more than 50 international sand art competitions across the globe and won many accolades.
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sudarsan wins people's choice prize in Canada (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- Orissa sculptor wins prize in Moscow - May 16, 2011
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011
- Sudarsan Pattnaik's sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Aug 01, 2010
- Indian artist to create climate change sculpture in Japan - Jan 22, 2012
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Sand artist Pattnaik conferred honorary doctorate - May 02, 2012
- Indian sand sculptor wins three medals in US - Sep 26, 2010
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
- Sand artist creates image on earth quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Sand sculpture in Orissa for Obama - Nov 04, 2010
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
- Sandy tribute to Japan tsunami victims (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: art competition, art competitions, audience prize, bulgaria, canada, copenhagen international, denmark, e mail, england, germany, ghana, globe, international sand, ireland, marine conservation, politiken, russia, sand art, sand sculpture, ukraine