Indian embroidery, needlework making Western inroads: Falguni-Shane (With Image)June 4th, 2012 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) If their cuts and designs brought them fame, they also earned them an impressive client list that boasts of the likes of Britney Spears, Katy Perry and Jennifer Lopez. Designer duo Shane and Falguni Peacock say people in the West have an eye for Indian artwork and more desi designers are making inroads into the Western market.
“Indian artwork and karigari is immensely appreciated and sought out in international markets. Our embroidery and needlework are considered rich in culture and aesthetically appealing to the western fashionistas,” Shane told IANS.
Added Falguni: “Chanel (the French fashion house) recently created an entire line, which were Indian-inspired designs on Western silhouettes. Our Indian designers and their sensibilities are definitely being recognised and appreciated and more Indian designers are making inroads into the western markets every day.”
They enjoy working with their international client whom they describe as trendsetters.
“Working with international pop stars has always been exciting and fun. They are the trendsetters who know what they want and what looks good on them. It is easy to work with them and there’s always something fresh and new to play around with,” Falguni said.
Recently Demi Lovato, one of the judges at the upcoming edition of “The X Factor”, chose a bold trendy outfit made by them. Also, they styled the entire look of backdancers outfits for Madonna’s Super Bowl performance.
Based out of Mumbai, the husband and wife duo are known for their ultra-feminine and elegant clothes. Their inspiration is all about fusion of western cut and Indian embellishment to create a dress that appeals globally.
The designer duo has created ripples in international markets by showcasing at the London Fashion Week four years ago and participating in the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in Berlin for the second time this year. The show was attended by American singer Ashanti and actress Michelle Williams, both of whom wore their outfits.
And they are happy with the ways things are shaping up!
“We have been showcasing at various fashion weeks like Dubai and London for a while now. Fergie’s stylist approached us with a design request and the outfit that we designed for her for a FIFA World Cup performance got a lot of appreciation and recognition. After that various stylists have approached us for styling and design references for other pop celebrities,” Shane added.
When asked how designing for an international celebrity is different, Falguni said: “Styling is different every time - whether it’s an Indian or an international celeb. It depends on the individual we are styling and their sense of style and comfort. It always gives us a chance to explore, ideate and innovate,” she said.
Apart from creating designs for international celebs, which also include Rihanna, Britney Spears and Lady Gaga, they are retailing in London, Manchester, Miami and Dubai.
The couple, who introduced their label in August 2002, specialises mainly in trousseau and custom-made garments. Most of their inspiration comes while travelling abroad.
“Most of our inspiration is taken on our trips abroad; we often try and make time to see new places on our trips even if we travel for work. It rejuvenates us and gives us a fresh perspective,” said Falguni.
So what next?
“We are open to reading scripts and designing for a Bollywood movie. We have a few projects we are looking into at the moment,” Shane concluded.
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indian designers: Merry time in global arena (2011 In Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Jessie J wore Falguni-Shane creation at Diamond Jubilee celebration (With Images) - Jun 07, 2012
- Celebs don't value Indian designers: Farah Khan Ali (With Images) - Jun 30, 2011
- Jessie J flaunts Indian designers' gown at Brit Awards (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Indian Fashion Making Waves On Global Shores In 2010 - Dec 30, 2010
- Learn while you shop at Armani Junior store (With images) - Sep 08, 2012
- Kidswear spells big business in India - Nov 17, 2011
- Designer Gaurang Shah teams with 250 weavers to revive handlooms (With Image) - Jun 24, 2012
- Bridal Asia To Offer Mughal Feel This Season - Jul 17, 2010
- 'Fashion weeks just have entertainment value' (With Image) - Jan 23, 2012
- No need to look beyond Indian crafts, say designers Mona-Pali (With Images) - Aug 26, 2011
- Make a fashion splash with your monsoon rainwear - Jun 19, 2011
- Sonakshi walks ramp for J.J. Valaya at LFW - Mar 06, 2012
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Indian is gorgeous, a perfect amalgamation of world culture: Italian designer (Interview) (With Images) - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: elegant clothes, embellishment, embroidery needlework, fashion house, fashionistas, french fashion, impressive client, indian artwork, indian designers, indian embroidery, inroads, international pop, london fashion week, mercedes benz, mercedes benz fashion week, pop stars, western markets, western silhouettes, wife duo, x factor