Indian choir to perform in TorontoAugust 9th, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 9 (IANS) Meghalaya-based choral group, Shillong Chamber Choir (SCC) is all set to perform in Toronto Aug 20 as part of a South Asian festival, a group member said here Tuesday.
“We are all excited and Aug 20 will be our debut (maiden concert) in North America,” Damon Lyndem, bass singer of the choir, told IANS.
The choir’s performance at the Harbourfront Centre, Toronto, would be featured in Canada’s “Masala! Mehndi! Masti!” festival.
“Since there is a large ethnically Indian population, we will be performing a lot of Bollywood songs mixing them with English numbers. These numbers will be performed in our own style,” Lyndem said.
The choir, which enthralled US President Barack Obama on his India visit last year, will perform a repertoire of classical, jazz and musica sacra on the WestJet Stage at the Harbourfront Centre.
The Obamas appreciated the performance of the young choir mentored by pianist and conductor Neil Nongkynrih.
The choral group has toured Europe, Sri Lanka and other South East Asian Countries.
William Richmond Basaiawmoit, a soloist with the choir, said the group will also showcase its “Sohlyngngem” - an opera which has earned rave reviews in several European nations.
The choir was formed in 2001 by a group of singers who came together to produce a variety of music. Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, is often called India’s rock capital.
- Big B teams up with Shillong Chamber Choir - Sep 04, 2012
- Masala, mehndi, masti at Toronto's desi festival - Aug 12, 2011
- Shillong ensemble wins three golds at choir Olympics - Jul 27, 2010
- Christmas gift for Obama from Shillong choir (With Image) - Dec 20, 2010
- Shillong choir founder named to World Choir Council - May 31, 2012
- India's Got Talent winner Shillong Chamber Choir to perform in Malaysia - Nov 29, 2010
- Proud to perform before Obama: Shillong Chamber Choir - Nov 09, 2010
- Shillong Chamber Choir performs for Govt. officials ahead of Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Shillong Chamber Choir gets tumultuous reception on return - Oct 06, 2010
- Shillong erupts in celebration after choir group wins TV show (Lead) - Oct 03, 2010
- Shillong choir to kick off Christmas festivities - Dec 10, 2011
- Shillong Chamber Choir ready for personalised concert in Mumbai - Mar 28, 2011
- Shillong choir tuning up for Obama's welcome - Nov 07, 2010
- Meghalaya for a commission to re-define boundary with Assam - Aug 13, 2012
- Shillong Chamber Choir eyes album, music school - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: asian festival, barack obama, bass singer, bollywood songs, chamber choir, choral group, classical jazz, east asian countries, english numbers, group member, harbourfront centre toronto, india visit, indian population, masala mehndi masti, musica sacra, shillong, soloist, south east asian, south east asian countries, william richmond