India has lost an iconic artist: PM (Lead)June 9th, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) Expressing his “deep sadness” over the death of celebrated Indian painter M.F. Husain, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday said the nation has lost an “iconic artist” whose “genius left a deep imprint on Indian art”.
“It is with deep sadness that I learnt of the passing away of one of India’s greatest artistic talents, M.F. Hussain,” prime minister said in a statement issued here.
“In the passing away of M.F. Hussain, the nation has lost an iconic artist and the art world one of its most colourful personalities, whose genius left a deep imprint on Indian art,” said Manmohan Singh, who in his initial reaction had described the demise as a “national loss”.
Calling him “one of the brightest stars in the Indian art firmament, which he dominated for nearly seventy years”, Manmohan Singh said that Husain came from “humble origins” and “began his life as a painter painting cinema hoardings”.
“His paintings covered a breathtaking range from evocative life portraits to massive murals. The beauty and feeling of his paintings were appreciated by one and all and he made an immense contribution to popularising Indian art both within the country and abroad,” he said.
The prime minister said Husain captivated art lovers with his deep appreciation of the human condition and his bold and imaginative strokes.
“I convey my most sincere condolences to his family, friends and millions of well-wishers,” he added.
Husain, one of the world’s most celebrated artists, died in a London hospital early Thursday at the age of 95, family sources said.
He was living away from India in self-imposed exile after being targeted by Hindu radicals.
- Government mourns Husain's death, says it's a national loss - Jun 09, 2011
- India mourns Husain's death as a national loss (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Shameful that Husain couldn't be in homeland: Twitterati - Jun 09, 2011
- At long last, Husain comes to Delhi (Feature, With Image) - Aug 06, 2011
- Husain's death a national loss: PM - Jun 09, 2011
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- Amitabh mourns Husain's death, remembers his 'sanjeevani booti' painting - Jun 09, 2011
- President mourns Husain's death - Jun 09, 2011
- I am still to be successful as a painter: Shuvaprasanna (Interview) - Jun 19, 2011
- 'One day I'll return to touch my country's soil' - Jun 09, 2011
- Husain was a true lover of India: Shabana - Jun 11, 2011
- Bal Thackeray prays for 'eccentric, adamant' Hussain - Jun 09, 2011
- Dikshit mourns Husain's demise - Jun 09, 2011
- 65 years on, young artists spearhead Indian creativity - Aug 14, 2011
- Husain should have been in India: Mumbai artists - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,