India gets it’s first jewellery weekAugust 10th, 2010 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 10 (IANS) After the many fashion weeks that are held round the year, India will now have its first ever jewellery week - the India International Jewellery Week (IIJW) - here Aug 15-19.
“This is a fabulous platform for jewellery designers to come together and showcase their talent. The fashion industry has their events but this is the first time that the jewellery industry will witness something like this,” Farah Khan Ali, who will showcase her designs at the event, told IANS.
“We want to showcase jewellery as a piece of art and not just an investment.”
The event is being organised by the Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council of India, supported by the ministry of commerce and industry.
The five-day extravaganza will showcase collections of 30 designers including Farah Khan Ali, Varun D. Jani, Bina Goenka and Rhea Nasta. Well-knonw jewellery brands like Mirari, Gitanjali, Amrapali, Tanishq and Ganjam will also participate in it.
“IIJW is a platform to showcase India’s prowess in jewellery, be it design, innovation, craftsmanship or quality,” Vasant Mehta, chairman, Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council, told reporters here at a press meet.
“Having attained our leadership in diamond manufacturing and being the fastest growing jewellery manufacturing destination globally, it’s time to showcase India’s expertise in design and make India the most sought after destination for designer jewellery,” Mehta added.
IIJW will also showcase the talents of upcoming designers from the National Institute of Design(NID) and National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
The event will be held at the Hotel Grand Hyatt, Santa Cruz.
There will be 1,600 stalls that will display the works of 776 exhibitors.
Pavillions of Thailand, Belgium, Israel, Italy, Turkey and the UAE will also be set up.
Buyers from Japan, Russia, Britain, China, Italy, Malaysia, Libya, Morocco, Iran, the Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan will attend the event.
- Designers to sparkle at India's first jewellery week (Curtain Raiser) - Aug 14, 2010
- India's first ever jewelry week IIJW to conclude tomorrow - Aug 18, 2010
- Deepika to walk ramp for Farah Khan Ali at jewellery week - Aug 14, 2010
- Zee Trendz To Showcase Indian International Jewellery Week 2010 - Aug 26, 2010
- Indian designs sparkled at jewellery week (Review) - Aug 20, 2010
- Katrina Kaif walks ramp during Mumbai's Jewellery Week - Aug 16, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor becomes face of India International Jewellery Week - Jun 07, 2011
- Making nuggets glitter at jewellery shows not easy: Fashion choreographers - Aug 19, 2010
- NID students showcase futuristic designs at jewellery week - Aug 15, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor is face of jewellery week - Jul 21, 2011
- Jewellery week a big platform for us: Designers - Aug 19, 2010
- Exquisite jewellery with Bollywood glam sums up IIJW (Review) - Aug 05, 2011
- Sharmila Tagore walks the ramp at International Jewellery Week in Mumbai - Aug 19, 2010
- I would like to wear something green for my wedding: Katrina - Aug 15, 2010
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: design innovation, designer jewellery, export promotion council, export promotion council of india, farah khan, fashion industry, fashion weeks, gitanjali, goenka, hotel grand hyatt, india international, international jewellery, jewellery designers, jewellery industry, ministry of commerce, national institute of design, national institute of fashion technology, showcase collections, tanishq, varun