In words: A medley of spirituality, tolerance, trees (IANS Books This Week)March 24th, 2011 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 24 (IANS) Non-fiction calls the shots on the weekend book cart. Pick up the gems as you read on.
1. “Daughters: A Story of Five Generations”; Written by Bharati Roy; Published by Penguin India; Priced at Rs.399
A chronicle of the lives of five generations of women in the author’s family, this fascinating story spans over a hundred years in its narrative sweep — from the late 19th century to the early years of the 21st.
It mirrors and critiques the progress of a nation, its society and its women, seamlessly blending biography with social history.
2. “Love on the Rocks”; Written by Ismita Tandon Dhanker; Published by Penguin-India; Priced at Rs.150
Newly-wed Sancha is excited about sailing with her husband, an officer in the merchant navy, on board the Sea Hyena. But Chief Officer Aaron Andrews is keeping a secret from his wife - a month before she arrived, the chief cook was found dead in the meat locker, his death ruled an accident.
When money is stolen from the captain’s safe, the inquisitive Sancha makes a game of finding the thief. What she finds, instead, is a murder. With the evidence implicating her husband, Sancha is at a crossroads - should she tell Raghav Shridhar, the investigating officer about the money or should she give her secretive husband the benefit of the doubt?
3. “Women Awakened: Stories of Contemporary Spirituality in India”; Written by Swati Chopra; Published By Harper-Collins India; Priced at Rs.399
The volume chronicles eight illuminated lives that can change life in the fast lane for contemporary Indian women burning with ego, anger, lust for ephemeral pleasures of the senses and inability to feel lasting love.
Through the lives of eight awakened women Anandmayi Ma, Nirmala Devi, Nani Ma, Sadhvi Bhagwati, Mata Amritanandamayi, Pravarika Vivekaprana, Jetsumna Tenzing Palmo and Ven Khandro Rinpoche, the book explores feminine spirituality in the contemporary context and what it means to be a spiritual seeker in today’s world.
4. The Intolerant Indian: Why We Must Discover a Liberal Space; Written by Gautam Adhikari; Published by Harper-Collins India; Priced at Rs.399
Far too many Indians today do not seem to appreciate the idea of pluralistic tolerance, which forms the structural framework of Indian democracy. They see pluralism as phony and tolerant secularism as irrelevant to an existence centred on narrow religious, regional or ethnic lines.
The treatise is a plea for the restoration of reason in public life; from the point of view of a liberal secular democrat, who happens to be an agnostic.
5. “Trees Incredible: Lives Sustaining Lives”; Written by Madan Mohan Pant; Published by Rupa & Co; Priced at Rs.296
All life is sustained by the ecosystem - trees, shrubs, herbs, micro flora and fauna. This eco-system is very fragile and takes millennia to evolve. A tree provides vital life-sustaining services such as oxygenating air while mopping greenhouse gases and leashing pollution.
The book is a comprehensive understanding of trees that discusses necessary linkages and interactions between natural elements and trees in a harmonious life sustaining environment.
- Dreams, movies, philosophy on bookshelf (IANS Books This Week) - Jul 28, 2011
- Partition, terror and women on book shelf (IANS BOOKS THIS WEEK) - Apr 14, 2012
- Thrills, frills, poetry and history (IANS Books This Week) - Apr 21, 2011
- Thant Myint-U, Amish Tripathi rule book charts (IANS Books) - Sep 29, 2011
- Buddha, Dawood and thrills on bookshelf (IANS Books this Week) - Jun 16, 2012
- Arun Shourie, Amitav Ghosh rule bestselling chart (IANS Books) - Aug 11, 2011
- Movies, business, fitness, feminism on bookshelf (IANS Books This Week) - Jun 02, 2011
- Carnival of beauty, nostalgia and history (IANS Books This Week) - Apr 14, 2011
- Kalam's 'Turning Points' retains top spot (IANS Books) - Jul 28, 2012
- Nariman's 'Before Memory Fades' bestseller yet again (IANS Books) - Aug 05, 2010
- Rhonda Byrne, Jeffrey Archer top authors of week (IANS BOOKS) - Apr 14, 2012
- Thant Myint-U, Amish Tripathi on top again (IANS Books) - Oct 20, 2011
- Jeffrey Archer's book tops fiction again (IANS Books) - Apr 07, 2012
- Book case: Read of courage, karma, radio and economics (IANS Books This Week) - Mar 31, 2011
- M.J. Akbar, H.M. Naqvi top selling authors of week (IANS Books) - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: benefit of the doubt, bhagwati, bharati, book cart, chief cook, chief officer, contemporary spirituality, feminine spirituality, five generations, harper collins, hyena, life in the fast lane, mata amritanandamayi, meat locker, merchant navy, nirmala devi, palmo, sadhvi, sancha, tenzing