In paying tribute to Hazarika, guitarists create recordJune 4th, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 4 (IANS) A total of 5,406 guitarists have simultaneously played and paid a tribute to Assam’s most celebrated musical icon Late Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, popularly known as Bhupen-da, in the process also entering their names in the Limca Book of Records.
The ensemble, which played the musical icon’s immortal number “Bristrirno Parore…”, Sunday entered the Limca Book of Records but fell short by less than a thousand participants to enter the Guinness World Records as the largest guitar ensemble, an organiser said.
The participating guitarists were mostly from the northeast region.
The current Guinness Record for the largest guitar ensemble is held by Poland, after 6,346 guitarists played a common tune at Wroclaw on May 1, 2009.
“We actually wanted to pay a musical tribute to Bhupen-da, who passed away last year. However, the idea of making a record for the largest guitar ensemble was also there,” said Ankur Dutta, one of the organisers of the event.
The event, which drew most of the veteran musicians of Assam as also members of younger generation, played the evergreen tune of Bhupen-da for about seven minutes at the Sarusojai Stadium here.
The previous Limca record for the largest guitar ensemble was creted in Shillong in 2007 when 1,730 guitarists played together Bob Dylan’s famous number “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door…”
“We are happy that people came out in such large numbers,” said Dutta, adding that the ensemble has been given a provisional certificate for creating a new national record by Limca Book of Records. “Now we are going to try for the world record for the largest guitar ensemble.”
- Bhupen Da an incredible voice: Onir - Nov 06, 2011
- There will never be another Bhupen Hazarika: Lata - Nov 08, 2011
- Hazarika's songs fill the streets of Assam - Nov 06, 2011
- Asha Bhosle, Gulzar named among 10 People of The Year - Jan 31, 2012
- Argentine beats India's Guinness record in guitar marathon - May 19, 2010
- Michael's 3.5 tonne black granite statue in Tamil Nadu - Jul 24, 2010
- Maharashtra man enters Limca Book of Records (With Images) - Jun 09, 2011
- Think Floyd, the homegrown Pink Floyd tribute ensemble - May 23, 2010
- Assam constable runs 156 km barefoot - Jan 31, 2012
- West Bengal's jute manufacturers spread awareness on use of natural fibres - Oct 29, 2010
- Saregama's Jhootha Hi Sahi Attempts To Enter The Limca Book Of Records - Oct 22, 2010
- Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro dies - Jul 03, 2012
- Around 3600 Kannadigas sing to set world record in Bangalore - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Gujarat sets 6 Guinness records in golden jubilee year - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,