IIT-D asked to review SC/ST students’ expulsionJune 17th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , June 17 (ANI): Indian Institute of Technology- Delhi has been asked by the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes to review the expulsion of 12 undergraduate students belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) category.
The 12 expelled students met the Chairman of the SC/ST Commission Buta Singh, this morning.
The Director of IIT-Delhi, Professor Surendra Prasad, had been summoned by the commission on Monday and was asked to explain why the students were expelled.
It has been claimed by the expelled students that they have been discriminated against, as they belong to the SC community.
They say that instead of the extra coaching that they were to receive, they were diverted to extra curricular activities.
Professor Bijendra Jain, the institutes Deputy Director, rejected the allegations and insisted that the students were asked to leave solely because of their poor performance.
The institute has never asked so many students to leave at a time because of poor performance.
IIT-Delhi will send a report on the review to the commission in two weeks. (ANI)
- Delhi University gets court notice on dalits' admission (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
- Can't quit IIT, reappear in entrance test: Court - Apr 05, 2012
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
- IIT Delhi revokes termination order of 3 students - Jul 04, 2008
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- BRT is the future, says IIT-Delhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- 'Invest in research, technology for future of IITs' - Apr 16, 2012
- Can't touch seats reserved for OBC students: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- New IIT entrance format to get brighter students: Sibal - Feb 24, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: allegations, buta singh, caste, castes, deputy director, expulsion, extra curricular activities, iit delhi, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology delhi, institute of technology, New Delhi, poor performance, prasad, st students, surendra, tribes, undergraduate students