Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis to reprise roles in The HobbitApril 29th, 2008 - 1:11 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Apr 29 (ANI): Lord of the Rings fans will get to see Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis reprise their roles as Gandalf and Gollum in the trilogys prequel The Hobbit.
The news was revealed to Tolkien fansite TheOneRing.net by the man who will be helming The Hobbit, director Guillermo del Toro.
He told the site that he “had a charming meeting with Sir Ian”, and that the actor was on board.
“All bureaucracy pending, he’s on board, as is Andy Serkis,” Contactmusic quoted him, as saying.
“We will continue giving you progress reports as they occur. It is our intention that we will not lose any of the key elements.”
He added that the movie itself was not a bridge film
“It’s an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative,” he said.
“There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view, but it will feel like a volume, in the five volumes of the entire story.
“It will not feel like a bridge, I’ve been hearing it called ‘a bridge film’, it’s not, it’s an integral chapter of the story.”
Del Toro was recently revealed as the person who would be helming The Hobbit and its sequel.
Both pics will be co-produced and co-financed by MGM and New Line Cinema, which is also overseeing development and will manage production.
Warner Bros. is set to distribute domestically and MGM handling international.
The signing, which comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over The Lord of the Rings and the announcement that it had reached an agreement with MGM over the Hobbit, means that Del Toro will be moving to New Zealand for the next four years.
Once there, he will work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. (ANI)
- Ian McKellen to reprise his role as wizard Gandalf in new Hobbit films - Jan 11, 2011
- Del Toro not directing 'The Hobbit' - May 31, 2010
- Diminutive Actors For 'Hobbit' Sought - Sep 27, 2010
- Hobbit movie will be filmed in New Zealand despite row, says Andy Serkis - Oct 26, 2010
- 'The Hobbit' is on track: Sir Ian Mckellen - Jun 15, 2010
- Despite Delays, Sir Ian McKellen To Return as Gandalf in Hobbit Films - Sep 14, 2010
- Lord Of The Rings prequel The Hobbit postponed until 2012 - Dec 19, 2008
- Sir Ian McKellen is all set to act in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 11, 2011
- Ian McKellen May Opt Out Of "The Hobbit" For Production Delays - Jul 08, 2010
- Orlando Bloom to star in 'The Hobbit' - Dec 10, 2010
- Sir Ian McKellen to star in The Hobbit - Mar 17, 2010
- Sir Ian McKellen may bid adieu to his role in 'The Hobbit' - Jul 08, 2010
- Guillermo del Toro quits as director of The Hobbit movies - May 31, 2010
- 'The Hobbit' Director Stands Down In The Midst Of Studio Deferments - Jun 01, 2010
- Actors unions tell members to avoid new Hobbit movies - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: andy serkis, bureaucracy, different point of view, four months, gandalf, gollum, hobbit, ian mckellen, lord of the rings, mgm, moving to new zealand, narrative, new line cinema, progress reports, sequel, sir ian mckellen, theonering net, warner bros, weta, wingnut