How to tell if your boss is a corporate psychopathNovember 25th, 2010 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Nov 25 (ANI): He is charming and a smooth talker who knows how to get the job done - the corporate bosses - who have plenty of charisma but no emotional depth.
With their finely honed political skills, sharp timing and chameleon-like abilities, they thrive on risk, chaos and upheaval. And they are cold-blooded enough to claim later that they did nothing wrong.
Dr Robert Hare and Dr Paul Babiak tell you how you to find out if your boss is a psychopath.
According to research cited, managers scored higher on measures of psychopathy than the overall population. Some who had very high scores were candidates for, or held, senior positions.
“The very skills that make the psychopath so unpleasant (and sometimes abusive) in society can facilitate a career in business even in the face of negative performance ratings,” Stuff.co.nz quoted the researchers as saying.
Another study found that bosses who make big bucks are much meaner to their employees compared to executives who aren’t earning massive salaries.
Jo Owen at BNET identifies six traits to watch out for.
1. They are highly egocentric and the world revolves around them2. They have superficial charm and will say anything to get their way3. They feel no guilt or shame about their actions4. They take excessive risks5. They blame others or completely deny there are problems and they are highly manipulative.
And of course, they will back stab anyone they think is in their way or anyone deemed to be unnecessary.
However, despite being grandiose and narcissistic, bosses can’t necessarily be tagged as psychopaths - they’re just awful people. (ANI)
- Is one in 25 bosses a psychopath? - Sep 02, 2011
- Does lack of fear drive psychopaths? - May 20, 2011
- Colleagues with psychopathic "dark side" can create toxic workplaces - Sep 23, 2009
- Psychopaths tend to have poor olfactory sense - Sep 21, 2012
- Psychopathic behaviour might be linked to frontal lobe dysfunction - Apr 28, 2010
- Psychopathy linked to brain damage - Apr 28, 2010
- Personality can tell who's more likely to cheat - Sep 08, 2010
- Facebook users narcissists, have low self-esteem - Sep 09, 2010
- Psychopaths lack empathy just like patients with frontal head injury - Jan 26, 2011
- Late-talking toddlers do grow up normally - Jul 05, 2011
- If I've a role for Maria Susairaj, I won't hesitate: RGV - Aug 12, 2011
- Self-obsessed people dont make good leaders - Jan 02, 2012
- Warm parenting offers hope for callous, unemotional kids - Jul 25, 2012
- The more honest, humble you are, the better your job performance - Mar 02, 2011
- Distraction, not cold-bloodedness makes psychopaths seem fearless - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: bnet, boss, chameleon, chaos, charisma, corporate bosses, dr paul, dr robert, emotional depth, guilt, high scores, performance ratings, psychopath, psychopathy, salaries, shame, smooth talker, stab, upheaval, wellington