Honda begins production of zero-emission, hydrogen fuel-cell powered carJune 17th, 2008 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 17 (ANI): Japanese car manufacturer Honda has begun the first commercial production of a zero-emission, hydrogen fuel-cell powered vehicle.
According to a report by BBC News, Honda claims the vehicle offers three times better fuel efficiency than a traditional, petrol-powered car.
The four-seater, called FCX Clarity, runs on electricity produced by combining hydrogen with oxygen, and emits water vapour.
It is based on Hondas first-generation hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle, the FCX concept car.
Honda plans to produce 200 of the cars over the next three years.
The first five customers are all based in southern California because of the proximity of hydrogen fuelling stations, according to Honda.
The car will initially be available for lease rather than purchase in California, starting in July, and then in Japan later this year.
It is being built on the worlds first dedicated production line for fuel-cell vehicles in Japan.
This is an important day in the history of fuel-cell vehicle technology and a monumental step closer to the day when fuel-cell cars will be part of the mainstream, said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda.
According to Honda, it expects to lease a few dozen units in the US and Japan in 2008, and about 200 units within three years.
It said that the cost of the car, on a three-year lease, would be 600 dollars a month.
Honda delivered around 34 of these cars, mainly in the US, of which 10 remain in use. (ANI)
- New hydrogen-powered city car launched - Jun 17, 2009
- Mahindra launches hydrogen-powered three-wheeler - Jan 09, 2012
- Honda to invest $800 mn in Mexico - Aug 14, 2011
- Electric cars cause more pollution than petrol ones: Study - Feb 14, 2012
- Honda Element To Be Discontinued After 2011 - Dec 05, 2010
- Olympic taxis to fill up in Swindon - Aug 01, 2012
- Excise, customs duties on large, foreign-made vehicles hiked - Mar 16, 2012
- Fiat's new schemes to promote diesel cars - Jul 04, 2011
- British hydrogen fuel cell firm scouts for Indian auto makers - Jan 05, 2010
- Tata Pixel showcased at Geneva Motor Show - Mar 02, 2011
- Honda Motors to cut India production by 50 percent - Apr 25, 2011
- Excise, customs duties on large, foreign-made vehicles hiked (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Sonalika develops hydrogen-powered three-wheeler - Aug 28, 2009
- Affordable hybrids are Japan's answer to record oil prices - Jun 05, 2008
- Scientists come up with low-cost 'artificial petrol' - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: american honda, bbc news, better fuel efficiency, clarity, concept car, executive vice, fcx concept, five customers, fuel cell cars, fuel cell vehicle, fuel cell vehicles, honda, hondas, hydrogen fuel cell, japanese car manufacturer, mendel, monumental step, proximity, vehicle technology, water vapour