Hollywood star jeweller’s India-inspired works on auctionOctober 10th, 2010 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) Often referred to as the “stars’ jeweller”, Fred Leighton has decked countless Hollywood actresses. Now, online auction house Saffronart will offer an India-inspired collection by the designer.
The Mumbai-based online auction house will auction a collection of signed pieces by Fred Leighton Oct 13-14 in its ‘Autumn Online Auction of Fine Jewels and Watches’.
Saffronart co-founder and president Minal Vazirani said: “There are several distinct pieces in this sale, including a collection of signed pieces by Fred Leighton that have been created with India as the inspiration, a large collection of unique pocket and wrist watches and important gemstones presented in a variety of unique designs like necklaces and rings.”
The signed jewellery collection includes diamond and coral dress sets, onyx and ruby cufflinks, diamond and enamel cufflinks, an emerald-ruby and diamond bazuband (arm band) and several fusion necklaces.
The 196 lots on offer range from rare and important diamonds and gemstones to signed and period jewels, Vazirani said.
They are competitively estimated between Rs.14.6 crore (over $3.2 million) and Rs.17.6 crore.
The designer’s Hollywood clientele includes Maggie Gyllenhaal who wore a Fred Leighton 1940s diamond cuff bracelet at the 82nd Oscar Awards ceremony and Meryl Streep who sported a magnificent Fred Leighton art-deco diamond and onyx bracelet at the same occasion.
Sarah Jessica Parker once wore a 1950s diamond swirl bracelet by the designer. Michael Douglas gave Catherine Zeta-Jones an antique 10-carat marquise-cut Fred Leighton diamond engagement ring.
The Saffronart auction highlights include a selection of emeralds, breathtaking diamonds, traditional and contemporary Indian jewellery as well as impressive natural pearl necklaces.
The sale also features the largest collection of watches to be sold by an auction in India - including one of a kind Patek Phillipe and limited edition Audemars Piguet timepieces, Vazirani said.
- Auction market for watches, jewels looking up - Oct 21, 2010
- Jewellery auction market shows signs of recovery - Apr 15, 2010
- Now bid online for international designer jewellery - Mar 26, 2010
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
- Raveena, Pooja Batra add shimmer to Mumbai jewellery exhibition - Aug 29, 2010
- Zambian emeralds sparkle in Indian jewellery - Jul 20, 2011
- Online auction of jewellery starts Tuesday - Oct 06, 2008
- Pitt, Jolie design $10,000 cufflinks for charity - May 13, 2010
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- World's most expensive Barbie auctioned for $302K! - Oct 21, 2010
- E-commerce changing India's art mart: Saffronart CEO (Interview) - Sep 15, 2011
- Designer jewellery lures enthusiasts at an exhibition in Ludhiana - Sep 04, 2010
- Vijay Golecha's dream; design jewellery for Rekha - Aug 01, 2011
- World's most expensive Barbie up for grabs at $500K - Oct 07, 2010
- Bollywood glitters at India's first jewellery week inaugural - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: auction house, catherine zeta jones, diamond cuff bracelet, diamond engagement ring, distinct pieces, dress sets, enamel cufflinks, fine jewels, fred leighton, hollywood actresses, indian jewellery, jewellery collection, maggie gyllenhaal, meryl streep, natural pearl, pearl necklaces, saffronart, sarah jessica parker, vazirani, wrist watches