History of Fat TuesdayFebruary 21st, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Feb 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Also known as the Mardi Gras, the Fat Tuesday has been a major celebration around the world each year. Many people may not be aware of it but the say has its roots deeply planted in the Christian religion.
Fat Tuesday is the day just before the Ash Wednesday. The Catholic ritual of Lenten starts on Ash Wednesday and during the period, faithfuls of the Christian religion fast and abstain from several forms of worldly entertainment as a sign of self sacrifice in recognition of the payment that CHRIST offered on the Cross for mankind.
The tradition of Fat Tuesday varies from place to place but it has one objective. As Christians set out to fast from food for 40 days, Fat Tuesday is meant to be the day when all the foods in the house which are not allowed during the Lent are consumed. It is meant to be the last day of eating freely until the Lent starts.
In countries like Brazil and Belgium, large carnivals are used to mark the day. In the United States, individual states have their respective celebrations. In cities and states where the French community is many, carnival is used to mark the day.
- Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten Season - Feb 22, 2012
- Today is Shrove Tuesday - Feb 22, 2012
- Mardi Gras Season Or Fat Tuesday Is Celebrated Today - Feb 16, 2010
- Special Mardi Gras food items - Feb 22, 2012
- Ash Wednesday & Lent to begin on the 22nd of February - Feb 21, 2012
- Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday - Feb 22, 2012
- Good Friday observed with prayers and fast - Apr 22, 2011
- Kerala Christians observe Passion Week - Apr 01, 2012
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
- Delhi observes Good Friday with fasting and prayers - Apr 06, 2012
- Goa carnival begins March 5 (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Goa's four-day carnival begins March 5 - Feb 11, 2011
- With marzipan and cake, Mumbai celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Kerala Christians set for Easter - Apr 05, 2012
- Kerala Christians observe Palm Sunday - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: ash wednesday, belgium, brazil, carnival, carnivals, catholic ritual, celebration, celebrations, christian religion, christians, fat tuesday, french community, lent, london feb, mankind, mardi gras, objective, roots, self sacrifice, tradition