Historian Sharada Dwivedi dead (With Image)February 6th, 2012 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 6 (IANS) Noted urban historian and author of several books on the history and culture of Mumbai, Sharada Dwivedi passed away here Monday, a family member said. She was 69.
“She suffered from a brief illness, following which she was taken to hospital this morning,” said a family member who declined to be identified.
However, sources at Bombay Hospital said that she was brought dead. Although hospital sources said she died because of cerebral haemorrhage, family members declined to comment on the matter.
She is survived by her husband Bhagirath and daughter Radhika. Her funeral is scheduled for Tuesday.
Dwivedi was actively involved in several conservation projects in Mumbai. She has also served as a member of the Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee and was a part of the executive committee of the Urban Design Research Institute (UDRI).
She has authored many books on art, architecture, urban history, heritage and conservation.
“To Sharada, the modern city was a guarantee of the highest civilisational possibilities that humankind could craft for itself,” said Ranjit Hoskote, an author and Dwivedi’s long-time friend.
“She believed in the primacy of the liberal, secular and cosmopolitan imagination. Her versatile practice, and her manifold contributions as researcher, historian, columnist, heritage conservation activist and publisher grew from this central belief,” he added.
- Spotlight on young artists at India's Venice Biennale debut - Apr 02, 2011
- Spotlight on contemporary art at India's Venice Biennale debut (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
- Mumbai's monuments can boost fort tourism - Mar 11, 2011
- Government needs to watch every baby girl: NCPCR - Apr 09, 2012
- Sonia recovering after surgery, makes some party appointments - Aug 06, 2011
- Baby girl tortured by father, this time in Bangalore (Second Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- William Dalrymple sad over Hyderabad shedding its past - Sep 11, 2012
- 'Chak De!' girl Seema Azmi now TV show narrator (With Images) - Feb 26, 2012
- Museum study, conservation - new-age career options - Sep 17, 2011
- A park between Yamuna and Taj is eyesore to conservationists (With Image) - Oct 15, 2010
- Sarah Palin To Miss CPAC This Year Too - Feb 04, 2011
- Rahul Mehrotra to head Harvard School of Design - Oct 09, 2010
- Nizamuddin Basti: Centuries-old Delhi urban sprawl lives in secular harmony (Feature) (With images) - Jun 28, 2012
- Can't think 'Mr.India 2' without Amrish Puri: Shekhar Kapur (Movie Snippets) - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: activist, art architecture, bhagirath, bombay hospital, central belief, columnist, conservation committee, conservation projects, executive committee, family member, heritage conservation, historian, history heritage, hospital sources, long time friend, primacy, researcher, urban design, urban history, versatile practice